Author Topic: flemish strings???  (Read 7682 times)

Shooter_G22

flemish strings???
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:30:04 pm »
how do i make a  flemish strings??

i saw a simple jig on my 3 rivers catalog...   but it looks like just a plank with some nails in it and some holes drilled down the center with  a dowl sticking in one hole tht looks to be able to remove and adjust the dowle to maybe get some differant sizes??  the jig looks simple enough to make if i had some sort of plan or print with the measurements but i would also need some directions to be able to work the darn thing...lol..

can anybody help me out here???

Offline sailordad

Re: flemish strings???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:36:52 pm »
look here, its where i got the info to make mine

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/index.html

other good,usefull info there too
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:20 pm »
Here is my Jig

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline dismount

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 10:05:16 pm »
Hey maybe you guys can fill me in on strings also. What is a flemish string? Strings I make for my bow are hand twisted into a knotless end. What is the board for?
                                                          Dismount

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 10:25:17 pm »
just go to the link i posted it explains it

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 10:29:46 pm »
Save yourself a few bucks and make a jig.  I made mine from a plan I found on the internet.  Probably the same one mentioned.  The jig helps you determine length and to make a nice tapered end. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 11:30:45 pm »
A really clever maker would design one that would double as a cribbage board while the finish on the bow is drying.

piper

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 03:55:55 am »
A really clever maker would design one that would double as a cribbage board while the finish on the bow is drying.

piper

Damn Piper....Now you really gave away where you are from!!! Cribbage....There ain't I sole I have met in Texas that heard of Cribbage....let alone can tell you how to play a Game!!!  I make Cribbage Boards out of Deer and Elk Antlers....and sell them at Da Yooper Store in Ishpeming....along with my Brother....who also makes Wood Spirit Figures...........Cribbage........Man that brings back many fond memories of my Childhood....especially good times spent with my Mom!!! Thanks for that........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 03:58:49 am »
   I made my last jig with a bit longer board that I mounted a 12" high dowel on to hold my roll of string while I wrap the jig, really happy with how it works. Steve

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 06:15:50 am »
I bought a jig like that 4 years ago. I tried it once and its now somewere at the bottom of my roughed out bows barrell. Do you guys find them helpfull? I just measuer out the lenghts, taper the ends and then twist them up.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:15:35 pm by YewArcher »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 10:08:51 am »
YewArcher, I do use a homemade jig and like it. You are right about making a Flemish without. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 11:26:31 am »
i just started making strings, so i find the jig quit usefull and user friendly.

heck i though everyone just knew how to play cribbage,in my family that like the first real card game that your taught when growing up.
i dont even know anyone that doesnt know how to play,i even know a few that know,or think they do, how to cheat at it.

i used to let a friend of mine cheat cause he felt better when i double skunked him,he quit playing me after awhile. didnt like getting beat 65 games straight
damn now i gotta find my board and dust it off and start playing again.

tim

Offline scattershot

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 12:23:47 pm »
I don't use a jig at all. Just measure the string for your bow, add 16" to that measurement for the twists and loops, and drive two nails into a wall at that distance.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 07:19:07 pm »
el Destructo.....not to wonder too far off the thread here, but you said, "and sell them at Da Yooper Store in Ishpeming....along with my Brother".......what's your brother priced at these days?    Ya, dot Yooper Tourist Trap, eh?  Only place in the UP you can buy Possom Peckers in the small cans!!

OK, back to the Flemish Strings.   I've been making them up with no jig.  However, I put an eye in one end and just a twist in the other to allow a bowyers knot, gives me more lattitude for string length, since I don't have a clue what I'm doing. 

Piper

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 09:01:28 pm »
el Destructo.....Da Yooper Store in Ishpeming....what's your brother priced at these days?    Ya, da Yooper Tourist Trap, eh?  Only place in the UP you can buy Possom Peckers in the small cans!!
Piper

Oh....I'd take a Buck...two ....fifty fer da Brudder............an dem Possum Peckers aint da only guud tings at da Trap....eh....you can get da Cans of Fish Buttholes in da Tomato Sauce in Small ...Medium an Large Sized  der still ....eh!!!
2024...We Will Overcome