Author Topic: Arrow angles and resultant accuracy  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Arrow angles and resultant accuracy
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 04:06:51 pm »
jackcrafty- they always slammed hard to the right, then flew off into space :o! I lost about ten arrow shafts that way, three were lost into the field, seven broke off of trees.

jape- thanks for the advice! I had to read it over a few times to get it all, but it sure helps. Thank you :).

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 06:58:40 pm »
Kegan, your shafts are TOO STIFF!

Jape's advice is good, but only if you're starting with weak shafts....and only if you are starting with weak shafts on purpose.  As you cut a shaft shorter, you are making it stiffer.  If you cut your stiff shafts shorter, you're only making your problem worse.

Shoot weaker shafts (smaller and smaller diameters) until you find one that shoots straight at close range.  Then copy that shaft.  Then shoot the copies.  Then pick the best ones.  Then you can fine tune by cutting, adding heavy tips, etc.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »

Isn't that the truth :P! I spined the shafts before hand, and they were upwards of over 100#. I slowly scraped and tested and scraped and retested until they came out at 60-65# for my 76# ELB. So I made a set of them and they've been flying fine for me (with 65-70 for broadheads). However, flinching and dropping my hand cause me to shoot some erratic groups at times.

Hence my wondering if it were the bow handle. Then I learned my form "needed some improvements" ;D.

jape

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 09:02:02 pm »

Yup, that is what I meant,  ::)! I just go on a bit ...

Offline Fundin

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 02:18:55 pm »
When I started to shoot at the medival week in visby, I was told a wooden bow is to slow to be able to win.

Then a center shot wooden bow won.... a new truth emerged...

A non center shot bow, without a shelf is to difficult to shoot, makes it impossible to win....

A couple of years later I won with my english longbow, wide handle and all...

About the arrows, if you have the possibility to go meet a good fletcher and try some different arrows, you will probably find a set that works fine. I use this shortcut a lot.