Author Topic: Have You Ever Had One Of Those Days???  (Read 12720 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Have You Ever Had One Of Those Days???
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:03 am »
I have had some bad days like that,well kind of like that just not as bad. I know I am lucky to be able to hunt where if I see anyone they were invited or they are where they ant supposed to be so
I can send them packing. :) I don't hunt much public land.I do Hunt Land between the lakes once a year and that is about it,Always have someone [what they call stalking] slipping around messing you up,but it is public so what can you say.Still frustrating tho.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 08:07:47 am »
Thats about right....the only thing I have heard worse....is the way the DNR in Michigan run things....they are Pathetic too

Michigan DNR Pathetic :o Thats too kind of a word Mike ;) At least I have access to miles of public land open to hunting
might not be any game on it but its open ::) Federal goverment decided to overturn the delisting of wolves and now their
back on the endangered list, unbelievable eh. Oh well think I will go deer hunting who knows might even see one this morning 8)

Good luck Dana....and watch out for them Wedding Parties.... they may be out for scalps....oh wait a Minute.....thats Raiding Parties.....wedding parties are out for your Pocketbook!!!

Yep....I grew up on a 240 acre Farm in the Middle of Nowhere in the U.P.  Pappy.....I sure miss being able to Hunt where I want....and not have to worry about being bothered.....Shoot Texas is the Biggest State in the Lower 48....and it has less Hunting Land open to the Public than Maine or even Vermont!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 08:15:29 am »
That's sad,I have heard that most was leased in Texas by hunting clubs and such. It is getting
that way around home and everywhere else so I been told. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 09:38:59 am »
I live in East Tennessee close to the Cherokee National forest. Huge tract of land just not much deer. The archery season there was only seven days long, and is already over. The good part is you can hunt all day and never see another hunter. It's mostly straight up and down, which discourages a lot of hunters. I do alot of squirrel hunting and exploring in those mountains, which as I grow older is becoming more and more enjoyable. Dragging a couple of squirrels up and down those hills is a lot eaiser than dragging a deer.  :)
Lease land around here is out of my price range, if you can even find it. You guys with access to public land with good deer populations are lucky.

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 10:39:10 am »
That is the wost / best story i have ever heard about a hunt being torpedoed by non-hunters...better luck rest of the season. What if you sent an arrow thunking into a portajohn during the "any objections' part?  ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 09:03:33 pm »
I feel your pain. About 4 years ago I went out for the season opener of the PA bowhunting season. I was shooting my compound at the time. On the walk out to my treestand in the dark (2 mile hike) a stick caught me in the eye and I lost my contact. (I'm blind without them). Luckily it was my non-shooting eye, so I proceeded to my treestand. I climbed my tree, and as I was hauling my bow up on a string, the rope slipped and my bowstring came over the cam and snapped against the bow limb rendering the bow unshootable. I sat in that stand all morning so as to not disturb my brother's hunt and later went to the local archery shop to have my bow put in a vice to put the string back on and back to the cabin to get a pair of glasses to see again! It was a miserable day.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 09:37:06 pm »
                                       Glad I am not the Only One with this kind of Luck!!

:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:42 pm »
I feel for you,I've had a few issues on public land myself.But this is my opening day experience was on private land,and I never saw another soul. Here's how it came down;
Arrived 6:00 AM to find a coon had crapped 6 different times on my stand.I cleaned it off and took advantage of the cover scent.
About 8:00 a ray of sunshine peaked through the leaves,and fell right on the lower limb of my bow"She's got legs",illuminating a 1" long crack following a ring ,about mid-limb.
While considering running home to get another bow,a fat 6 point walked right under me ,stopped at 6 yards,slightly quartered away.I leaned out and told myself,"don't think about the bow,just draw the arrow and shoot,,DON'T THINK ABOUT THE BOW." 
Well, all I thought about was that bow exploding,but , I released the string anyway.
A 6 yard slam dunk!!.that did'nt.My fine cane arrow sailed right over his withers,hit  a root ,and you guessed it ,broke.   "Legs "did'nt break,and I took her home and put a band-aid on her.She's all right ,and ready to hunt again. Now ,Ive just got to get over missin' a "sure thing" shot.     God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 12:17:43 am »
Well at least the Bow was saved....and the Deer wasn't wounded and run off to be eaten by Coyotes....you will have a chance to see Her again....and hopefully in Better Circumstances too....good luck....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 09:46:17 am »
Mike, I thought it was just me that stuff like that happened to. Just be glad that you don't have Mullet out there cruising around in a Polaris Ranger buggy.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 10:38:57 pm »
Or that damned Air Boat!!!              8)
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 11:03:28 pm »
  Boy, I was really getting tired of those four wheelers up In my elk unit when I lived down in washington state.Be up there on the ridge after a 5 mile walk in the dark,just at shooting light you'd hear them coming(And I can't hear good !)Never see an elk that was'nt in a full gallop.What really ticked me off was all those idiot's were younger than me. Would'nt fault an old timer riding up but those kids ! Grrrrrrr......Glad I'm up here where there ain't much roads.Public land works only when you can walk away from the roads. Hope you have better luck next hunt.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 07:44:52 pm »
Bummer luck, El D.  I think the sound of an arrow going THWOCK on the side of a Porta-Crapper for the "any objections" was about the best suggestion outa the whole post.  Here's hoping karma sends you a better shot on a better hunting lease.  And on the other hand, think of the couple that stood up in that wonderful place and exchanged their solemn vows of eternal love and devotion.....half of all marriages end in divorce, the rest end in death!  That'll teach 'em!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »
  It might have been an easier shot for you Steve if I was on the Airboat and blew the little pig closer to ya'. ;) You could have scuffed dirt on him too. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 01:00:36 pm »
:D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.