Author Topic: Bad set in bow  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Silver Arrow

Bad set in bow
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:53:09 pm »
I have recently finished tillering a hickory bow, 50lbs@ 28".   Slight problem however, the bow 59" long, 2" wide is taking on set.  Is there anything that can be done to stop and correct the set?   Do I have to back the bow to correct it?   If someone could give me some advice that would be exellent, thanks.

Jonathan

Offline Hickoryswitch

Re: Bad set in bow
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:33:55 pm »
Sinew backing would probably help some. Also heat treating the belly and drawing it into reflex could help some. The wood may still be a little damp hickory draws moisture ? Unless it's a recurve I'd say the short length is where most of the set is coming from though.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:42:02 pm »
Usually once set is there, it's pretty much there. The wood cells in the belly have already collapsed from compression stress. Heat treating the belly into reflex may help a little, but it helps more if you do it earlier in the process. How much set does it have? Set is inevitable in wooden bows-that's why many people reflex the stave a couple inches before tillering so that after it takes its set, it will still be straight. Some causes of excessive set are high moisture content (especially in hickory and other white woods), uneven tillering, stressing the bow too much during tillering (going too fast, pulling the bow too much with uneven tiller, pulling it past the intended draw weight, etc) or improper design. 59" is pretty short for a hickory bow with a 28" draw, but at that width, you shouldn't get more than a couple inches of set unless the wood is too wet or it was stressed too much. Hickory is really hard to get dried out, it soaks up moisture like a sponge in high humidity.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:48:49 pm »
Put it up to a learning experience and move onto the next bow. Make sure to build a drying box and put the wood in there to bring the moisture in the hickory down. Once you seal the bow after building it will be slower to take on moisture. Good idea to pop it into the drying box every once in a while to draw down the moisture again. Especially if you live in a wet moist climate.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:59 pm »
  If you are working with hickory you are going to have set, unless you live in the desert. How much set does it have? one inch or 2 inches isn't much. Even four if it shoots good. A lot of people get bent out of shape when it comes to a bow taking set. It's not that big of a deal, they all will do it unless it is an overbuilt slug.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:58 pm »
It's kind of funny years ago I can remember guys talking about set and most all of the bows you seen had some set but now with the info that is availible on the web and such most of the bows you see have reflex or alot less set than they did years ago..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:25:57 pm »
 Unless you soak them in saltwater and back them with two pounds of Buffalo rawhide  ;D. Sorry, couldn't help it. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:28:08 pm »
 ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 12:25:45 am »
How much set? 59 inches is pretty short for a 28 inch draw bow of most woods. Next time make it longer. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Silver Arrow

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »
Well... my bow has about 2 1/4 inches of set on each limb.     I live in Southern Ontario and we have had a really wet year so although i let the stave dry for a year and a half it likely was slightly wet.   It is my second bow and it seems to shoot beautifully- so far ;).   So on my next bow i will make sure it is really try before and while i tiller it.    Should I make my next bow longer and wider?    Is there a good kind of bow wood that does not soak up as much moisture?   

thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 05:50:55 pm »
2 inches is good for a width but you needed longer. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:52:45 pm »
A crowned back and flat belly will help reduce set as well.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 09:07:02 pm »
Ipe and Osage don't soak up as much moisture or so i've heard. I've not used either one personally. Usually I'm proud if my bows take less than 3" here after they are a year old. We have really dry times here and really wet ones it's really unpredictable.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »
Typically, a crowned back adds set. That's been my experience.  For example, when I make a sapling I'll leave it an inch or 2 longer than normal to counteract the set the crown would add.
Set Happens!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 09:25:04 am »
The bow I'm hunting with now is 64# @ 28" and has 2" of set. The difference is that it is longer(66") and the same width. I love shooting it and actually prefer it to some of my other bows regardless of the set. If it shoots good and your comfortable with it then enjoy it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956