Author Topic: Kids first time.  (Read 6860 times)

dogface

Kids first time.
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 pm »
There is now no minimum draw weight here in Texas. My Son has been practicing with his satanic wheel contraption as he has a hard time drawing a 45 Lb recurve,, BUT ! Since there is no minimum now I was thinking he just may be back in action. The game is small bodied west Texas white tail. Most likely a spike or doe. I am thinking 30 Lb bow, and cut on contact two blade broad head with shots kept with in 20 yards. He can hit with his wing well out to 30 but he has never fired an arrow in anger. What you think and any recommendations ? or should I send him out with the bilzi-bow ?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Kids first time.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:26 pm »
Do you have a chronograph?  As long as the speed from the 30lb bow is good (around 130fps with a 300gr arrow) he should be fine, IMO.

The speed thing is the only advantage I see with the wheelie.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

dogface

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 02:35:38 pm »
The speed and 80% let off. The little boogie can hit very well with a stickand string, but he is pretty small and just not ready for 40 lbs yet .

Offline possum

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:07:20 am »
Wheel bows aren't evil as even I make them out to be. >:D  They do give an advantage over sticks but if your son isn't ready for 40# then give him the advantage of the let off and extra speed.  He's obviously been practicing... let him reap the benefits. :)  Get him in the woods!!! ;D ;D

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:02:07 pm »
I agree with Possum. Get him in the woods and interested in hunting and work on getting him a good hunting weight wood bow so after this season he can build up his archery muscles and be ready for next year. 
   It could be detrimental to him if he hit a deer and his 30# bow wasn't enough for a clean kill. When he can shoot, with consistency, a 40# or 45# bow at his draw length, he's ready to hunt with a stick bow.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:51 pm »
There is not a thing wrong with starting him on big game with a compound and then evolving into a higher form(Stickbow) as he gets bigger.Still,he needs to hunt small game and do his roving with his nice little 30 lb. He will see (As I did) that instinctive shooting is tons more fun than all that crap you got to do to get a wheelie bow shot off.
    Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:26:48 pm »
Every archer should shoot with the weapon he or she is most comfortable with... if your boy is proficient with the training wheels then he should hunt with it..nothing will turn him away from the sport faster than to wound a deer with a bow he is not comfortable with..after a harvest his confidence will be greater and the longbow or recurve will fit easily into his hunt... good luck ... hunt safe, hunt honorably and enjoy the journey with your son... HAWK   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

dogface

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 11:10:29 am »
He got a pig ! He killed it dead ! Perfect shot. He did use wheels but it was a good hunt. On the ground and the distance was around 11 feet. now my boy is a little guy and his pig was a 150 pound pig. Not what many would brag about but when you are just barlet 4 feet tall and your weight is in the realm of double didgets a 150 pound hog is the Grendel. He was cool as a cucumber. I noticed him drawind down wile I was getting ready to fix a dry spot on the ground before it could spontaneously combust. I did not see pig until my boy stuck him but I sure herd it ! it ran a half circle into brush while my boy got another arrow on the string. I got back over to him and backed us off a bit th let the old hog lay down and die. As we sat I herd his arrow rattling on the riser and then he started to tremble. He was all eye balls and teeth the grin was so wide. I was laughing at him because his grand dad always did the same thing after an up close killing shot. I had him lay the ow down and while I had a smoke I asked him what he thought and he sed threw the killer's grin unique to my family "lets do it again" So the next generation is in the woods. His first kill is a big fat pig, And he says that he is ready for a big fat Griz. We will see what Mom says about that.

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 11:23:15 am »
Thats great!  I'll never forget my first harvest and im sure he won't either.  You did the righ thing letting him hunt with the wheelie.  I let my wife hunt with my 223 or a 243, why?  cause she shoots them great and is comfy cozy with them=end result of dead stuff everywhere  ;D   im sure you are proud as heck, and by the way.....i weigh in around 170, an my biggest hog to date is 60 lbs.....i sure was proud of that one.  i told everyone!  tell your boy i say congrats, and to you for getting him out where he belongs, in the woods!
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 11:43:43 am »
Congrats! to your boy.. sharing the hunt with our kids is what it is all about..way to go, look forward to the pics of the harvest, Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 12:49:52 pm »
Congrats to your son(name?) and to you. 8)    A 160# hog ain't nothing to laugh about...and at 11' it makes it even better. I do think I'd hold off on the griz for now though!  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline possum

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:47 pm »
Nice.   Very nice.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 12:25:34 am »
Tell him 'way to go'! Those hogs sure are fun to hunt.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:20:26 am »
Awesome kid of yours, glad you let him hunt with an anathema bow.  When he can comfortably and accurately shot a real bow then it is time to make a ceremony of getting rid of the training wheels.  Go ahead a make a bit of a big deal over it, kinda like saying "now you have arrived-you are a man".  I think our western culture has no real graduation ceremony where boys are told they have now crossed the line into manhood, consequently too many act like 12 year olds all their lives.  I have a feeling he will gladly take up the responsibility of manhood in order to get the privileges that do with it, he sounds like a rock solid guy already!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 03:15:52 pm »
Congrat's on your son's kill! Sounds like he's hooked for sure :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.