Author Topic: the effects of humidity on draw weight (updated 10/4)  (Read 6534 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: the effects of humidity on draw weight
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 09:46:18 pm »
well, now for a little update. i got my hot box going and kept it in there for a couple of days. i put it back on the scale yesterday and sure enough it was back up to 57lbs@29.5". i half expected it to stay below 55lbs, but was plesently surprised.

as of tonite ive gotten 7 coats of tru-oil on it, and have been puting it back in the hot box to let the coats dry. hopefullly after 10 to 15 coats, plus some carnuba wax after everything is all said and done it will keep the 57# more or less. i do feel much more confident now.

im also going to my dads hunting this week. ill also be hunting some black locust that i had almost forgotten was over there.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: the effects of humidity on draw weight (updated 10/4)
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 10:42:03 am »
Hickory doesn't like humidity. Black locust, osage, and mulberry are less inclined to be bothered by it. That's the way it goes. I still love hickory. During the summer I leave hickory bows in the AC. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 04:26:26 pm »
I like hickory too Jawge, and im not totally giving up on it just yet. but i am ready for a change anyhow, and i figure ill start with BL. an like i said before, im hopefully gonna get some osage here pretty soon.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 02:11:41 pm »
I think Georges comment about keeping it in the a/c ( low humidity environment) is the key. I put  a triple coat of spar urathane on it and the moistrue still effected it, just took it longer. One things for sure, you can't keep it in a high humidity environment or it will transpire anyway.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God