Author Topic: 1st bow again  (Read 3715 times)

Offline aruge

1st bow again
« on: October 05, 2008, 10:00:15 am »
I want to thank everybody that helped me out with the tillering of this bow a couple months ago. It was a good learning experience and a lot of fun. I'll try to post the pictures correctly. It's a board bow, red oak with a linen backing. 70 inches ttt. pulls 40# @ 28". It's been shooting for a couple months now, but the cast is slow, so I don't think I'll do any hunting with it. I'm going to hang on to it for when I have more experience and maybe back it with hickory. It took a couple inches of set, which I guess isn't too bad, but the spring wood is very porous, so maybe that along with my inexperience contributes to the poor cast. That and the heavy limbs. It's 1 1/2 inches at the fades to midlimb to 1/2 inch tips.

Thanks again.  Al

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 1st bow again
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:11:17 am »
Your tiller looks very good, maybe a bit stiff just above the handle. When learning to build wood bows you, getting good tiller is the most important thing. Without good tiller your bow won't last. You have accomplished this aspect of wood bows so on your next bow you can work on getting your weight(the bows weight  ;D )up to where you want it.  Red oak is a good, inexpensive wood to begin with and can eventually make a good, hunting weight bow but there are other readily available woods that you can try also.
   Figuring out the nuances of wood bow building comes with practice and so far you seen to be ahead of the curve. ;) 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:31:14 am »
Congratulations on your first bow. Enjoy it. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline aruge

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »
Thanks guys, you helped me quite a bit on this. Besides the shaving bench, this forum is the best place to get those little tips that don't show up in literature.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:11:06 pm »
  We can fix it and speed it up some. Might not be any fun to shoot, and then , it wouldn't be your first bow anymore. Like George said, "enjoy your first bow", study it and improve on the next one. Looks good to me, it didn't break. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:06:58 pm »
Got your bow all bookmarked for Oct Self Bow of the Month. 
Thanks for the interest!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday