Author Topic: I need some assistance  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I need some assistance
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:51:05 pm »
I've agreed to build an ELB style bow for a friend in an SCA group. It will be around 40#@28" and the stave I will be using is hard maple from Dana and is 73" long. Can I go with a deep belly or should it be a bit more flat. Any suggestions on cross section shape, length and profile dimensions would be appreciated. I thought about full circle limbs with a slightly stiff handle area that Bickerstaffe refers to as a type B long bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: I need some assistance
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:00:02 pm »
Can't (or too afraid) to give you advice on how to build an ELB from hard maple but I can give some general advice on SCA personas:  ask your friend what time period his persona comes from and what type of bow was in use at the time.  Most SCA guys want to have exact reproductions of weapons that match their personas' time period.  You may have to do a bit of research if he is not sure about the bow style, dimensions, etc.....
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:53 pm »
That may be difficult since the only true ELB's that are still in existence come from the Mary Rose and it sank, I believe during the beginning of the renaissance era and the use of firearms was beginning to supplant the use of Bows in England. Before that period we only have pieces of bows and those only from the later medieval ages.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:39:17 pm »
Either or. At man's height, and with such a low weight, most white woods would hold up to a rounded belly and ELB ratios, as only short or over stressed white wood ELB's have chrysalled/fretted on me. None of the ones that were properly tillered and less than 60# have given me any trouble.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 08:41:24 pm »
Thanks Kegan. That what I need to know. I've never made a bow with maple so I wasn't sure about the dimensions. For 28" draw and 40#, what length would you go with. That's probably a stretch for you. Maybe figure an 80# and split it down the middle. ;D 
   Patrick, this is going to be raffled off to help raise funds. He said I could make a flat bow but an ELB style bow was preferred. Looking at the pic of their group, any bow would be better than what they have. Glass recurves are true anachronisms.
   David, ELB referring to an English long bow and not a war bow. During the Victorian era the ELB target bow was popular and that has extended until today. This is the type I was referring to.
   Thanks for your input, guys.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:53:07 pm »
Most of my longbows are 70" or more. Less than that and I start getting alot more string follow than I'd like.

How wide will the finished bow be anyway?

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:20 pm »
Ok, Pat! I tend to focus on the warbow.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 01:03:12 am »
Kegan, I was gonna start at about 1 1/4" with a straight taper from the handle to 1/2" tips.  I'll start with the full 73" and reduce it later if necessary.  Thanks

David, you have to expand your vision. ;) ::)

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »
Why?  ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 07:38:29 pm »
Pat I know nothing about ELB's but I'm glad that stave is going to a good cause :) I know you will do it justice and can't wait to see it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 08:07:46 pm »
Thanks Dana. I'm looking forward to working with this UP maple.  ;)  I've never worked maple so it ought to be interesting. That's why I was wondering about a deep round cross section or a deep but slightly flat cross section.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:14:58 pm »
Like Kegan said. It will take the rounded belly just fine at that long and light a draw weight.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:57 pm »
Pat, I think 72" would well for a slighlty flexing handle and elb style cross section. I don't think I would go for a straight taper to the tips though, I was doing that for a while and changed over to just a slight taper in the middle two ft of the bow, A little more taper in the next 12" out and then a straight taper to the tip in the last 12". I believe 1 1/4 would work ver well. Steve

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 12:13:47 pm »
Thanks guys. this is what I am looking for.
   Steve, After reading Bickerstaffe's book, I see that he also recommends a 2 or 3 step taper of the limbs. This is the way I will go. 
   Do you guys think 68" to 70" would be OK for this 40#@28", rounded(or slightly flattened round) cross section longbow?        Pat

Offline possum

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 06:49:47 pm »
Please check the 40#.  My brother is in the SCA and he told me the limit was 35#.  It may be different for the different "kingdoms" but they also could have changed it.

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC