Author Topic: Disadvantage of True Oil?  (Read 10971 times)

Papa Matt

Disadvantage of True Oil?
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:28:46 pm »
Brothers, I have found this to be wonderful stuff! Are there any reasons why a person would NOT use this? So far, I plan to finish all my bows this way. Is there any reason not to?

~~Papa Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Disadvantage of True Oil?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 05:42:25 pm »
Matt, I've used it for years and have nothing bad to say about it.  ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:44:10 pm »
Because it has a linseed oil base I don't believe it is as effective a moisture barrier as other finishes.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:59:18 pm »
I love the finish of tru-oil. Someone on here told me to use it then use a polyurethane over it if I was really worried about moisture. That is what I did and man it looks great.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 07:17:31 pm »
  I've been doing the same as hickoryswitch. But, don't spray lacquer over it unless you want a mess.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »
I use it then apply a light coat of mink oil to help cut down on the shine and it helps shed moisture

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 10:04:48 pm »
I use it and love it.  No finish will keep out moisture entirely. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 10:18:17 pm »
I stopped  using because it allowed the grain to be raised on my selfbows when I've been caught in the rain. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 10:41:33 pm »
never used it,except on my guns cuase thats what its for lol

i like tongue oil,after 12-15 coats hand rubbed in it should be pretty much water resistant,atleast thats what myfather inlaw told me, i think he knows a thing or two about wood and finishes. he ws a carpenter/contracter cabinent builder for like 45 yrs,made all his own cabinents etc etc.

lots of work to hand rub in 15 coats,and time consuming, but arent they all worth it.

only problem it tends to leave a shine,but you just lightly rub it down with xxxx steel wool and wa la no shine.

just my humble opinion ;D

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

perry

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 10:52:13 pm »
I like True Oil as a finish . For rainy days a rag inpregnated with bee's wax rubbed regular over the finish or paste wax helps no end . I don't beleive their is a truely waterproof finish on the market .

regards Perry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 12:59:34 am »
I have sat through a quite a few rain storms and saw no ill effects using Tru-Oil. On hunting bows I add a quick spray of satin poly but only to reduce shine.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 01:49:00 am »
i love the finish it gives. i havnt had too many chances to test its weatherproofness. but id go with Perry with the bees wax. just a little up keep will go a long way for protecting a finishes durabillity.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline wally

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 01:22:57 pm »
Hi
 I usually use only Danish or Tung oil on my primitive bows. Tru oil seems to have too much shine and looks kind of not primitive, if you know what I mean. Beeswax furniture polish will give a damp proof coat for a while and add more as you go. For waterproof  I suppose polyurethane will do it-but really it looks to, er, manufactured-I never use it. Heavy rain will get through any oil, but when you get home dry the bow off and put more oil on, the bow then starts to build some real character!
I re tillered an old bow that has had at least twenty coats of Tung oil put on. The penetration look like no more than about 5 thou', so I think it is only a surface protection.
Now if anyone could tell me me how to keep my fletchings dry when it's bucketing down I'd be grateful
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 02:04:05 pm »
If I want one Pretty......I use Tru Oil.....if I want it to be Waterproof and Huntable with little or no Shine.......I use my recipe of Beeswax and Tallow........put it on way thick....heat it in with a Hair Dryer or Heat Gun on Low........works great.......... one thing to remember about Tru Oil though......if you have any tool marks at all....it will magnify them....so be sure to really do a nice job on the Sanding....or it will show like a sore thumb!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 02:05:53 pm »
To keep feathers dry try using camp dry, or a silicone spray, Just give them a coat every once in a while. If your feathers get wet and out of shape hold them over steam, they should go back into place.