Author Topic: ? for New England bowyers, or any who might know.  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Denham Archer

? for New England bowyers, or any who might know.
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:09:17 pm »
I will need to have a maple tree taken down that is hanging over my garage.  It is about 18" thick.  Every autumn the leaves change to yellow (mostly), some orange also, no red.  Would this type of maple be sturdy enough to make bows with?  I don't know what kind of maple tree it is.

Any help about what kind of maple it could be would be appreciated.  I live in south eastern Massachusetts, if that helps.   

Offline NTProf

Re: ? for New England bowyers, or any who might know.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:48:53 pm »
I live in Merrimac, MA, near Amesbury. Can you post a picture of the leaves? If it is sugar maple it would be great wood for making a bow.

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:21:37 pm »
I live in Merrimac, MA, near Amesbury. Can you post a picture of the leaves? If it is sugar maple it would be great wood for making a bow.
Thanks for the reply.  I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:38:20 pm »
from the sounds of it, it is probably sugar maple. i say this as im looking at my neighbors sugar maple,with leaves that are changing
to yellow and yes the occasional orange thrown in too.

ifn it is sugar maple, it will make some fine bows ;)

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 10:46:12 am »
A picture of the bark as well as the leaves would be helpful. Any kind of hard maple will make a decent bow as long as its not soft maple you should be ok.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:56:09 am »
I just happen to have a piece of fiercely curled maple sitting int the corner of the shop.  Anyone ever make a backed board bow out of curly maple?  I have resisted this temptation because something tells me the curls would not structurally support the compression.

-John
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:59:05 am »
I believe El Destructo has a birdseye maple backed bow. Drop him a line and ask.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 12:38:45 am »
 are sugar maple and silver maple similar? my neighbor had his tree trimmed, i snagged a 13 foot log of it, maybe 5 or 6 inches long, im pretty sure it could yeild a few bows, not totally sure though
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.