Author Topic: OH NO! I heard that dreaded "ticking" sound!!! Help!  (Read 5047 times)

Offline FlintWalker

OH NO! I heard that dreaded "ticking" sound!!! Help!
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:36:43 pm »
I was shooting the second selfbow I ever made tonight, and heard the sound of a splinter popping up.  I hated to do it, but proceeded to scrape the copperhead skin off the top limb and found this splinter. :(
 It happened at a gouge mark in the back just out of the upper fade.  I remember seeing the gouge before covering it with snake skins, but since I had already shot it a few hundred times I figured if it hadn't caused any problems yet, it might not. Well I guess I was wrong!
 I was shooting this bow better than any bow I've ever shot today and was looking forward to hunting with it some. I had just fixed up 6 new arrows for it and man they were flying great!
  What I want to know is will raw hide stop that splinter?
  I'm sure sinew would, but I don't have any and don't want to wait that long for it to dry anyway.
  I really want to fix this bow.  It was the first osage I ever made and i'm kinda attached to it.
  If you guys don't think the raw hide will do it, I guess I'll just lay it aside and sinew it later, but if rawhide will work, I'll be hunting with her again in a couple weeks. 8)
  So what ya'll think?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: OH NO! I heard that dreaded "ticking" sound!!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:42:16 pm »
Ohhh....that SUX!!!

I would Rawhide it....that stuff is tough....make sure that you super Glue that Splinter down good....then rawhide it.....or you could always just wrap it with string soaked in Super Glue.....like some have done...but I prefer Rawhide myself
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 11:42:54 pm »
I would have no hesitation to patch it with rawhide.
I'm sure rawhide would work, and sinew too. Also, a linen patch could probably hold it together.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »
Spit happens Shannon. :'(  Shoot another bow, I know you got plenty. ;) I think Raw hide would work fine. I'd shoot some warm super glue in the crack first though. ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:01:15 am »
Yea Ryan, I have several bows to hunt with. I just hate to loose this one :'(
 I think I'll strip the skin off the other limb and cover her with some thin rawhide Pat B gave me.  Then, if it breaks... I guess it just broke! ;D
  Like you told me once, "It's just wood". ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:09:36 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Thats the spirit !  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:11:50 am »
Super glue the splinter down. Back the bow with rawhide and, if she holds, put new skins over the rawhide.
Gordon

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 02:59:00 am »
HAA that Osage,..so unreliable  ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 05:46:40 am »
I would put some supper glue under it and rap it with serving or sinew thread.I have repaired several with no problem.Just rap from just above it to just below it.I sometime rap the other limb to match
or just cover it with skins. It sucks but it happens sometimes,the good news is you caught it in time
to be repaired,about one more shot would have probably done it in. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:45:40 am »
Either a thread  wrap or sinew would work. If you want a quick sinew wrap, use TB2 instead of hide glue or Knox, works great and you could be shooting in a couple of days.

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:20 am »
Super glue it down then rawhide the back of the bow,then you will be good to go.
                                         Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Papa Matt

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 10:34:35 am »
Brother, this should be no problem at all, and yer bow shouldn't be down too long either. Just do like everybody is telling you and super glue it down, then rawhide it. Wait a couple or three days and string 'er back up, keep firin' 'em out there. 

~~Papa Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 10:59:05 am »
I agree with everyone else!!! Your first few shot after the repair will add to the pucker factor but she should be fine for hunting. That's the bow that will take that big'un !  ;)         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 07:20:20 pm »
 The quickest and easiest repair would be what pappy said. Use colored thread on both limbs and leave the shins off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 07:53:27 pm »
I appreciate all the advice fellas. I stripped her down last night, sanded the back with 100 grit sandpaper, washed it down real good with acetone and backed it with some nice thin rawhide I got from Pat.  I washed the rawhide with Dawn before glueing it on with titebond II.      Thanks again Pat!
  I'm pretty sure it'll hold just fine.  I don't think I'll put any skins back on it though.  I think I'll just try decorating the rawhide somehow or another.