Author Topic: YEW longbow....(not for BOM)  (Read 23560 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: YEW longbow....(not for BOM)
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 05:48:16 am »
Come on guys,take a deep breath,lot of folks post pictures here and don't respond to anything,nothing says you have to,to each there own. .If you have problems with someone PLEASE take it off line.This is a bow forum. Constructive conversation is a good thing but all this
personal stuff and bickering is really getting old.Nice Bow Manny. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 10:15:34 pm »
Pictures taken today by her sister 1/4 split, show that she took just about no set

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 11:22:36 pm »
  Everytime this stuff comes up on this site, I wonder if in "Real life" if everybody was standing toe to toe, if they would have the nerve to run their mouth like what goes on here.I got a PM from a former mod last week complaining about Manny not posting a bow for BOM. When you show a bow on here , it's not a release form for the vote or magazine. I informed him and another PM'er of this, and the crap still goes on

There have been some excellent bowyers that have left this site because of the juvenile bickering that goes on. And it seems like when it starts , it's not because of the way somebody tiller's a bow or fletches an arrow. It seem's to be because of somebodies personal opinion is not the same as someone else's.

It would make it so easy if people would read the RULES when they sign on. Things , like politics, religion, money in the trade section and posting appropriate articles in the sections they should be posted in, would solve a lot of problems; And hurt feelings and bruised egos. You guy's work the Mod's to death with this same crap over and over.

I'm not going to name people on here that seem to constantly stir the crap, don't have to, everybody is picking up on it real easy. But this would be a lot nicer site if everybody showed a little respect for other people and their personal feelings. It's getting really old.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:32:04 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 11:29:04 pm »
I agree with Eddie. Lets talk about bows. OK? Nice bow Manny. Was this your first time working with yew?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:06 pm »
Thanks, second one Ryan

silk backed YEW :

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Gordon

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 01:23:47 am »
That bow turned out sweet Manny. Now that you have ventured into NW woods I guess I'm going to have to do something with that guava stave you sent me before you make us all look bad  ;D
Gordon

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 02:01:04 am »
Hey Gordon, if he likes NW woods, maybe Manny will trade some Guava for Vine Maple... ;D ;D ;D

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 02:05:37 am »
Manny,

65# ought to be good boar medicine.  When are you going to blood her?  Did you notice much difference between silk and cotton on your Yew bows?  Which do you think is more effective and is one easier to do than the other?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 02:15:25 am »
I have a Gordon VM stave, if you look at the first picture above, the longest stave on the rack over my car is the one, as you can see it's well down in dimentions, I just have to get to it one of this days  ::)

Keith, I probably won't hunt this bow for at least 10 years, I'm shooting 85 # nowadays and trying to go a bit higher  :), cotton or silk are equally easy to apppy as long as you treat them like snakes skins thru the applycation, I think cotton is way stronger, but than again I can't tell for sure

Gordon, can't wait to see what you will do with that guava  ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 09:07:22 am »
I've always had the personality of "not rocking the boat"...don't like confrontation, and don't think much good ever comes from it. When I see bickering like this going on, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I feel disappointed in people that I thought had higher standards.

It has been said over and over to take any personal comments against anyone OFFLINE!!!!  Why can't you people do this? We're adults, and should act accordingly. The topic should be limited to comments about bows or whatever other primitive subject or hunting...but don't get personal. I for one don't care to read it, and I know that Primitive Archer Management does not appreciate it.

When you feel your temperature rising...do us all a favor and push that little red toggle switch to the off position!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 10:24:19 am »
Here is how I see it. If you have worked with creative people such as artists, musicians, theater types, writers, film makers, etc, you will quickly find out how volatile creative personalities can be, epic in some instances. I’m not sure why, but it is pretty much universal. I was a musician for many years, and saw my share of “tempests in a teapot.” I think it is part of the nature of the beast, and although bows are not opera productions or stage plays, you have some pretty brilliant, creative types posting here, and no matter what, conflicts are going to arise.

In the end, usually these things end with everyone smiling again, and I think that will be true here as well. Let’s all be friends again, please, sooner rather than later, for the good of the site and our collective endeavors. Manny’s work is exceptional, and if he chooses to “protest” the magazine by posting silently, that is his thing. But, the people on the boards are not PA management, as well, if you understand what I mean.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:39 am »
That is a nice one Manny,love the character.Sweet and well done.I have a piece of Yew someone sent me,guess I should give it a try and see what happens. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 12:11:34 pm »
Boy this thread sure has proved Manny's philosophy of silence to be wise.  There is so much more to this story than most know.  Manny's vow of silence is not a protest, it was made to try to help stop this kind of thing. My hat is off to him for trying to stop the bull no matter what meathod he used. It does appears that some prefer fighting over silence.  ???  If you don't like how Manny handled this get over it, it is his choice to make not yours.  Or maybe better yet try it and see how it works. 

Manny, those are some sweet bows. I don't think I have ever seen a yew with that much character.  I love the up and down character in a bow.  Snakey is cool, but these up and downs really challenge the skill of a bowyer and you have some serious ability.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 01:47:53 pm »
Manny, I apologize for not commenting about your bow earlier...I meant too. Beautiful bow with a lot of fine detail and character. I hope you continue to post your bows, as I really enjoy seeing them. Keep it up!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 07:02:52 pm »
Thanks guys, I really like YEW, it just seems so elastic,..... and just tiller itself  ;)
but I belive you have to go a bit slower in the bending process, I like to go for increments of 1/2" at a time with at least 20 pulls, and that is if everything looks good, otherwise, start all over again  ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII