Author Topic: Clean smooth missed  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Little John

Clean smooth missed
« on: September 08, 2008, 11:56:52 pm »
Dont ask me how to shoot, at least not under preasure.  Totally missed a cow elk at 20-25 yards after working for a long time for a shot. This cow came to my stand Mid Sat. afternoon, got behind some trees and kept me in the ready mode for ever before giving me the shot, by then I must have had too much time to think about it  and choked on the shot. I remember coaching my self thru the shot while wairting ( ok this is a heavy arrow so don't shoot low, I should have been thinking this is a steep down hill shot so be careful not to over shoot). Any way shot high and hit a couple of limbs. Man oh man you never saw an elk turn around in their skin like this one did while thinking of some where else she needed to be. Almost got two different shots Sunday but the elk would hang up behind the trees till they would finally scent me. Cleared my shooting lanes before packing out to make it to work today, hope to do better next weekend. Maybe God did not want me to take the cow so made me wait another week for the big bull. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Clean smooth missed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:28:28 am »
In the ELK!!! 8)   You must have been thinking too much. I've seen you shoot. ;) 3 close calls in a weekend. Sounds pretty good to me!  ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:46:05 am »
stay after them brother,we all miss .. that is why we are hunters instead of killers ... hope your next opportunity makes meat... HAWK a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:41 am »
Thanks Pat- Hawk. I Tell ya those cows had me just as excited as any bull could have. I always have had trouble shooting under preasure but will for sure keep after them. A big sounding bull was sounding off Sat.  evening late but was not inclined to be called in so just gave him some rope but he did not hang him self yet.  Sure is hard to have to give it up and return to work. Have had the whole place to my self so far, no other hunters. Wish I could just live the dream for the rest of the season.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:18 am »
Kenneth, a clean miss is much better then a wound. Sounds like you've had some exciting hunting so far. That's sure some good looking country in those pic's...post more please when you can!  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:27:12 am »
Yep Greg you can laugh about a miss, but feel sick about a wounded animal not recovered. The country is pretty awsome and not really as rough as the pics indicate. The  peaks in the back ground are the Wemminuche wilderness The largest, roughest and most pristine area in Colorado and probally 20 miles from my area, beautiful to look at and calling for a climbing trip.     Kenneth

Badbill

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:03:32 am »
Thanks for the pics. I'm going out that way for an elk hunt on the 16th of next month, looking forward to seeing the countryside with my own eyes. ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:13:36 pm »
  Well Kenneth, Kinda like turkey hunting, If she didn't see you, she probally didn't know what flew over her. Maybe she's not educated yet. Go get 'em and good luck this weekend.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 11:15:44 pm »
Badbill- where are you going to be hunting ? Are you doing a do it yourself hunt? Fill us in on all the details.

Eddie- I don't know how spooked she is but almost think she might be one of the ones that came in the next day. It has been raining up there today so will have all the scent washed away and hopefully move a whole herd into the drainage. Any way just three days till I get back up. My work is so intense now it is almost hard to ask for more than weekends off. Oh well I have good feelings about this weekend.     Kenneth

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 05:29:13 am »
Beautiful pictures and cool story,sorry about the miss,but much better than a bad hit.Sounds
like you are into them so I am sure your time will come.  :) Good luck.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 08:49:55 am »
Dang Kenneth, you got me pumped! I cant wait to get out there and hunt elk again someday! Sounds like your on to them, hope you get a big one this weekend! Good luck!  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 09:05:27 am »
Thanks Pappy- Ryan Yes I need all the luck I can get. Lots of things to go wrong, mostly shifty winds.   L.J.

Badbill

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »
I didn't want to get in trouble by mentioning that we are going hunting with "rifles" :o LOL. We are going to the South Fork area. Do you know any good spots? Want to come along and show us were to go? We are going up 2 days early to scout the area. There will be 3 of Us.

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 08:41:37 pm »
Bill -  Oh, I did not catch the part about your hunt being next month. The Southfork Crede area is good elk country but I dont know it that well personally. Swamped at work and barely have time for my weekend hunts so good luck. If I am not succesfull I will take my wife on a rifle hunrt next month