Author Topic: Hot box ?s  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Bent Rig

Re: Hot box ?s
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 10:30:47 am »
I would recommend that everyone  plugs their  heat box into a GFCI protected outlet - because you were miss informed by Orcbow - because the way a GFCI works is off the neutral wire , any leakage of current trips it and the neutral not the groundwire is the current carrying conductor - so if there is any fault whatsoever in the wiring and or breakdown of any components -the GFCI will pickit up and shut the power off -great insurance . A GFCI only monitors between the hot and the nuetral , so anythig thats plugged into it doesn't neccessarily need a ground for it to work . Something I do for a living ,Lol !!!

Paul
LU # 43
3rd generation electrician
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 11:12:29 am »
Thanks, Paul. I appreciate you clearing this up for us. Obviously you have the knowledge and experience.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 02:22:02 pm »
Sure thing Pat , I would hate for anyone to have a fire or get shocked and that would be the best way , also in conjuction like someone said - a thermostat to keep a desired temperature . Safety first !! ;)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jesse

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 05:54:10 pm »
Thanks again for clearing that up. I thought the gfci was a good idea but didnt know how it worked.
                                                           Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

orcbow

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 07:30:56 pm »
Sorry, everyone, for getting that mixed up :-[  but why is it called a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter? I understand that it is an important safety device. But does a GFCI need to be connected to a ground wire, also, to work properly?

Offline Dano

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 07:57:41 pm »
The GFCI does, but not appliance, here's a link that explains it.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/gfi.html
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

orcbow

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 08:42:26 pm »
Thanks Dano, for that link. I will connect my hot box to a GFCI. Thank you Bent Rig, for helping a guy learn a little more!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 10:34:16 pm »
that looks great, i've been reviewing lots of hot box designs. haven't decided yet though.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 07:03:51 pm »
Dano and everyone else - a GFCI will still operate the same with or without a ground connected to it , for example according to tne NEC - if someone had 2 prong outlets without a ground and wanted to replace them to a 3 prong grounded receptacle , the only legal way to do so is to replace it with a GFCI recepatacle . It will still operate the same but more expensive because each recepactacle has to be replaced individually @ 8 bucks a pop .

Paul  8)

p.s.- NEC = National Electric Code
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »
Orcbow as far as any leakage in current naturally finds the least resistance to ground - which is a ground fault - so suffice to say that's the appropriate terminology for the device .
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 07:30:34 pm »
I ran my wiring outside the hotbox to protect it from the extra heat.  It only drops into the hot box at the light fixture. I used metal pancake boxes to attach the lights and hooked the ground from the wall up to the pancake box for good measure.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dano

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:24 pm »
Good info Bent Rig, thanks
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada