Author Topic: What is brown and sticky?  (Read 3306 times)

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
What is brown and sticky?
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:19:23 pm »
My first selfbow.
I named it brown & sticky because it is brown, and it is a stick. And yes, because of that too. :)   (I freely admit I'm not much of a craftsman.)  But it shoots!  I'm planning to shoot a doe and hopefully a buck with it this year, then graduate to osage (if I can find some).

It is a red oak board bow, 55# @28", 65" ntn, dacron string, linen backing. I cut a recurve-style handle because I've never shot anything else, so I suppose you could say I dont know any better.  Yes, I can see all the mistakes now that I've snooped for a while and read TBB & Torges... but it shoots!  It shoots straight and quiet, with no hand shock!

Anyhow, I've been meaning to post a pic for a while, mostly to say thanks to all of you.  I dont post much, mostly I just read.  This was my home base in this endeavor - without this forum and the various bow-making websites I linked to I would not have done this, and I'd have missed out.  So thank you.

Hopefully I'll be able post pics of success in upcoming weeks.  :)
I should know better.

Offline Kegan

Re: What is brown and sticky?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:26:44 pm »
Looks fine, even better for a first bow. Let's see some full draw and unbraced photos :)!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:50:33 pm »
  Very Nice bow, especially for a first.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:36:25 am »
Cool bow,congrats on your first,many more to come we hope.Good luck with the deer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:06:42 am »
nice job and congrads on your first success. many more to come im sure as once you make one ur hooked
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:29:52 am »
Great looking bow ! I'm with Kegan, lets see some fulldraw pics..... ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:12:53 pm »
ahh, full draw ... that means I have to figure out how to use the timer on my camera.  And, you guys get tortured with my mugly ug.  and you get to see how bad my tiller is.  OK, will do.
I should know better.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »

Very nice, and as for the handle, I too like that style over the others.  It's your bow.  You make it  the style  you want.  You are the one who is going to be shooting it.  If it is comfortable, and the bow shoots where it is supposed to, and no hand shock, and is quiet......Then I would stick with that design.  One day, I will clean out my garage, and make room, so I can start on my Hickory stave.  I hope my first bow turns out that good.  Good luck, and I hope the wood spirits are happy with the bow, and quide your arrow to it's mark, and you can be having some corn spirits, and eating venison within the week.
                                                                           Wayne

Bowbound

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 04:56:08 pm »
You know theres a serious problem when you start to name the bows.   ;) ;D