Author Topic: My first shooter  (Read 6592 times)

Offline cracker

My first shooter
« on: September 04, 2008, 06:52:18 pm »
Here is a picture of my first shooter.57" overall, 55.5ntn ,draw weight not much, draw length just whatever. It has five growth rings showing on the back of each limb but only two on the belly nylon wrapped handle big splinter pullid out of one limb right near the handle. But in spite of all it still lives and it still shoots by the way the first pic is unbraced.Have a look take a trip down memory lane and let me see your first bow.
Fromm the "Cracker" Ronnie
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/ronniecoursey/My%20first%20bow/100_0150.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/ronniecoursey/My%20first%20bow/100_0153.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/ronniecoursey/My%20first%20bow/100_0151.jpg
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/ronniecoursey/My%20first%20bow/100_0157.jpg
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Cromm

Re: My first shooter
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:54:15 pm »
Hi,
That 1st pic makes me   :o ;)
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:23:56 pm »
Part of the BOM drill is the full draw. Can't wait to see it.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:27:20 pm »
Part of the BOM drill is the full draw. Can't wait to see it.
Hello brother this is not meant for bom its just meant for everyone to show the first shootable bow they ever made.
Thanks Ron

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:44:15 pm »
Well here ya go!  This is the one that Jawge walked me through over on the Leatherwall back in early 2007.  It took a little set too. I think it was pretty green when I made it.  I didn't know much about mousture content and all that stuff back then.
 It's 65" long and used to draw 51# @ 28". I think it draws more now since it has dried out some.
 I always said I was gonna hunt with it, but since it has several frets on the belly, I just haven't.
  Keep 'em coming guys, we all like pictures!   Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:08:13 pm »
OK, you asked for it. You ain't seen ugly yet ! Here are three bows I made in the early days. The top one is Slippery Elm, its broken spit up through the fade through the handle and into the other limb because I tried to bend it backwards to remove some of the string follow. The middle one is hard maple and has numerous grain violations on the back and ever has a small splinter pulled up around were I violated a knot, but I imagine it would still shoot. Think I shot it like that for some time. The bottom one is hophorn beam and it was made from completely green wood, thus the heavy amount of set. It was one of the first bows I felt confident enough in to shoot at a 3-D shoot or two,I imagine it would still shoot. As you can see I seemed to have liked big handles back then and wide tips.....oh how times have changed.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:11:14 pm by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:40:02 pm »
Man, ya'll think them are ugly - I got em all beat :D. Check out this peice of fine ash ;D. Think it drew around 50@28 or something like that. Built it green so took tons of set, and also the fine craftsmanship on the knocks are worthy of mention, hahaha. I couldn't find an unbraced or you'd really laugh ;).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:09:38 pm »
       Ewwww...that is UGLY....what is that Green stuff on the Eye of that String.....is That Serving?...Ewwww NAsty!!!!!

;D >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 06:24:23 pm »
I believe that whole string is 50# spiderwire - oh, I was proud of her when I got er done though ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »
Ryan that second one looks a lot like the one I posted, but over all I think any of them would take game with a well placed shot. 
 Cowboy, I don't think yours is any uglier than mine. In fact, I think the tiller looks perty good.
 Ya know, even with all the string follow and the frets, I can hit as well with that old hickory bow as I can with any of my others. It'll jar your teeth a little, but it shoots straight.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 06:50:12 pm »
Wow this is turning into an ugly bow contest. So bring it on who has the ugliest bow.
Ron

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 07:09:51 pm »
I posted this in another Thread....it's gotta be the Ugliset Bow still Alive!!! A Sinew Job gone Bad!!! My First Bow...and a Sinew Backed Elm Limb at that!!

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 07:13:28 pm »
I don't have it anymore, but mine had all these beat.

It was a stick with the bark still on. Untillered, deflexed so it wouldn't break (I strung the green stick and left it to dry). It drew about 35# at what I think was 26" at the time. I was going for groundhogs with it. Never even saw any, but I got a rat snake with it (my mother hates snakes and told me to kill it- it fed something around here, the thing was gone the next morning).

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 07:15:11 pm »
That sinew job is just a tad rough :D ;D. Can't believe it's still holding with all those cracks in it, tiller aint bad though ;D.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:28 pm »
Man I have to take a picture or two of my first bow, It pulls something like 8# at 40" I was having so much fun scraping wood I never quit ;D
El Destructo saw it although its no where near as ugly as his ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI