Author Topic: Cordage Wrap  (Read 3900 times)

PAWannabe

Cordage Wrap
« on: September 02, 2008, 11:50:24 am »
Hey all. I have a ignorant question for you. I want to wrap a bow's joints with cordage, hemp or jute, but need to know what I should use to attach it? It's a horse bow. Should I glue it down? Barge cement? Do I just wrap it and tie it? What knots? Help ??? Thanks!

Papa Matt

Re: Cordage Wrap
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:05:46 pm »
For this I love to use hide glue, either homemade or bought from the hardware store in bottle form called Liquid Hide glue. Spread a thin layer of glue over the entire are to be wrapped and then wrap it tightly. I do this to put on handles, or wrap any part of the bow. Just tuck the ends of the cordage and you're done.

~~Papa Matt

PAWannabe

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 12:32:18 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:10 pm »
You might want to try something that is waterproof like Titebond 3 or at least seal the cordage to keep out moisture if using hide glue.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Papa Matt

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:32:11 pm »
What I usually do is wrap with hide glue and just seal the ends where the cordage is tucked in with Titebond.

~~Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:01:44 pm »
I have been using hemp cord from Wally World. I wrap the handle like serving a string, with the ends tucked under. On my newest yew bow I sealed the bow with bear grease so I left the handle wrap unsealed for aesthetic reasons. Generally I will add a coat of Massey finish over the hemp wrap to seal and water proof it.
   Massey finish is 2 part epoxy mixed and then thinned with acetone. I make it quite watery so it soaks into and through the hemp wrap. You won't have to worry about moisture and even in foul weather you can get a good, firm grip on this kind of handle wrap.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Papa Matt

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »
Yeah, I use the Wally World hemp also. Good stuff. Just don't ever try to make a bowstring out of it. I could never keep one from snapping at brace.

~~Matt

Offline Don

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »
Like others I use Walmart Hemp. Wrap it like you would serving the string. [real tight]
Then using a heat gun to worm the cordage and melt pure bees wax into it. Has a real primitive look.
It can be a little cores on the hand but works real well.

Don

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 06:58:05 pm »
 I USE THE WALLY WORLD HEM  BUT I USE BARGE CEMNT TUCK IT LIKE THE OTHER DO  HAS ALWAYS WORKED FOR ME   BROCK

PAWannabe

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:43:06 pm »
Thanks for the great advice.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:46 am »
When wrapping a handle always wrap in the direction your fingers point. That way you won't loosen the wrap when you grip the handle.    ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC