Author Topic: Grips - why no variety?  (Read 9412 times)

Tom Anderson

Grips - why no variety?
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:35:54 pm »
Who don't sefl-bowyers make some sort of locator type grips on their bows?  Most everything I've seen displayed here looks like a broomhandle.  Seems it would be easy to build up the grip and make 'em a little different.

Offline Dano

Re: Grips - why no variety?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:39:40 pm »
Because they are "Selfbows" a locator grip looks great on laminated or glass bows, but a selfbow is just that.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:40:45 pm »
Lots do- and there is variety. Manny makes some beautiful dished grip. I believe Ryano's latest apple bow had a locator grip. Most people just use a simple striaght handle because that's what comfortable to them. I use bendy handles because those type of bows are easier for me to build. I think most of us try to shy away from the locator grip/arrow shelf because of the popularity amongst fiberglass bows.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:25:02 pm »
It's because some of us like to make a skinny twig of a bow that performs as good or better than its synthetic fat handled cousins ;) And watch the look on their faces while warming up for the 3-d round...

Actually I make plenty of center-shot built-up grip style bows as well...They usually go to the hardcore 3-d archers..

Rich

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:26:46 pm »
Most all of my bows are cut close to center and feature dished out grips. I don't necessarily make bows to be "primitive", I make them to shoot and hunt with and I personally can't shoot as well with a straight handle as I can with a dished one.
 If your gonna make a "self" bow, make it to suit "yourself". That's part of the enjoyment of doing it. ;)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 12:35:34 am »
        I like a handle with some kind of locator, sometimes I build primitive and sometimes I just build all wood bows. I don't pay much attention to anything but what feels good to me. Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 02:42:08 am »
                            All my Self Bow Grips have Locator's....It's called the First Knuckle of My Index Finger!!

;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 05:00:26 am »
I certainly don't speak for self bowyers who don't build bows with a locator, built up handle, arrow shelf, or whatever....but I will say that I personally think bows with this feature look a bit cheesy.  For me, simple is better.  However, lots of folks like the look, not to mention it's usefulness, and I'm currently building an osage self bow with a locator type grip (for a friend).
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Shaun

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 05:33:38 am »
I have experimented with various shaped grips. I even copied a shape from a Reynolds glass longbow with a grip I really liked. But what feels and shoots best for me with wood bows turns out to be a bulbous handle that fits the low wrist firm grip I use on this style bow. The straight Hill style grip made by a take down sleeve seems to work well for me too.

There is lots of variety in leather wrap styles and/or stitching. I can often identify the bowyer by these alone. Some folks like to cut a shelf towards center and some like to have the fades symmetrical and apply a built up leather or other material shelf.

I see lots of variation in grips.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 11:27:55 am »
This is one of my favorite subjects. I see so many selfbows with square cornered handles, uncomfortable and like holding a jagged rock in ones hand.

I like my handles to flow, graceful and sleek. When your hand settles into one of my handles it is like settling into your favorite lazy boy chair.

I am working on two bows today one snakey osage and a BBO. Here are some of my handles.

I like a slight locator because you need to have your hand in exactly the same spot shot to shot. The glued on arrow rest will be covered up with leather. I add wood to every handlle to make sure I have enough to complete my chosen design.

A palm swell adds another glove like fit for a handle.

The BBO has a little less swell but is very comfortable none the less.

I use a contour gage to make sure I have a perfectly rounded handle. I like handles rounded belly and back and wonder why so many people leave the back side square.

Handle design is a personal thing, to each his own.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:25:16 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:36:17 am »
Over the last few years I've started going with a bulbous type handle on the bows I build and shoot. For me a bulbous handle is a locator type grip. If the bulbous handle is made for a particular shooter and the grip fits the shooters hand the same every time , then it is a locator grip. As far as center shot bows, I've never owned one and don't see a need if proper arrows are chosen. With wood bow building, I'm trying to get away from the norm and still be effective. I see the cut out shelf, pistol grip handles and center shot bows as more of the same as with modern trad bows and wheel bows and I'm more into the challenge of archery than into trying to drive tacks with the machine doing all of the work.
   Even more important than a "locator" grip or a center shot bow which only propel the arrow is the arrow itself. Any bow will shoot a well made, properly spined arrow but a badly made or improperly spines arrow won't shoot well from the best made bow of any material, no matter what kind of grip, whether center shot or not, modern or primitive.
   It is all up to what you are trying to achieve in your pursuit of archery. It is a proven fact that all types of bows are effective as a hunting tool. For me the challenge is more important than the dead animal at the end of the day.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 11:43:52 am »
I like small, rounded handles like the ones Eric just posted. That's what feels good and looks good to me. I detest the feel of a big, bulky handle, and I don't like the look of cut-in shelves. Some are completely the opposite, and there's nothing wrong with that. It all just boils down to personal taste, and a lot of us have tastes that run toward the simple, minimalist end of the spectrum. But take a look at some of KnightD's bows, he makes a lot of bows that have elaborate, contoured locator-style laminated handles that are works of art in themselves. Pat B's bows usually fit my hand like a glove, I really like his style of grip. I guess everybody makes what they like to feel in their own hand, and I enjoy seeing all the variations and personal styles of the different bowyers here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 11:50:18 am »
it took me a while to figure out a style of handle that i like, but ive settled on this. your hand just kinda sinks into it.

stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 12:39:44 pm »
Hillbilly Thanks for the kind words. I like the bolbous on self bows and the  the locater types of grips on laminated bows. here is a pic of a couple of the ones I tend to like on my laminated bows..The Osage with purple hart and cocobolo fits well in my hand.
David

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 01:09:32 pm »
Those are all beautiful handles and I've tried most of them bit always seem to like the straight type rasped to fit my hand. I do like a glued on rest. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!