Author Topic: need advice on bow wood?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

need advice on bow wood?
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:13:39 pm »
i am new to makeing my own bows. i would like to know some good woods for long bows. i would also like to know were to get it, and i would like any tips or advice on building the bow would be apreciatted. thanks to all who post

Offline DanaM

Re: need advice on bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:39:33 am »
Welcome to PA, as for boww woods just read thru some of the posts here and I'm sure you will get the idea :)
The list is long and varied.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:52:38 am »
Welcome 65,as Dana said the list is long,you can go to the Trade thread and ask and probably trade for some wood and if you just want to buy go to some of the sponsors on this site and they can hook you up.Then just jump in and ask questions,there are also some build along in the Build Along section.Good luck and keep us posted.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:21:38 am »
The Bowyer's Bible, Vol. 1 is a good book to read prior to getting started.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »
Depending on where you are located, you can find/scrounge different woods for bows.
No matter where, at Home Depot or Lowes you can find oak boards.
Hickory is great for beginners and experts alike as it is very tough and usually straight staves are easy to find.
White ash is also widely distributed throughout the eastern US and is a good bow wood and often straight.
Elm is widely distributed and hard to split but makes great bows.
Mulberry is widely distributed and works great as does black locust but you need to learn to remove all sapwood.
Osage is king and can be hard to find in something that is knot free and straight and you need to remove all sapwood.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:10:33 pm »
Pick some of the densest, hardest woods in your area. Of course, you can always use lumber. If you want to make a flatbow, just about any wood as denser than cherry will work (so will juniper, sassafras, and cherry too). For an actual Elnglish longbow most of these woods will work too, jut leave it slightly wider for second string woods (1 3/8" wide) and longer (as tall as you are). There are lots of examples of various wooden bows here, especially the Bow of the Month.

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:30:28 pm »
well i live in north west idaho.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:13:00 am »
You should have yew, juniper, and probably several other good woods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.