Author Topic: Shoe Polish Finish  (Read 4199 times)

ripmyfly

Shoe Polish Finish
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:01:43 pm »
No I don't say much around here.... but thats just because you guys are so much smarter than me. :)

Anyway I am finishing a rudderbow (I know not primitive, can't a man have two loves) bamboo backed hickory bow.

On Jim's advice I used show polish to stain the bow. Here's my question. I am supposed to finish the bow w/ a
sanding sealer such as deft, but will the waxy shoe polish prevent the sealer from sticking?  I have thought about just using
paste wax as finish but don't want ti have a sticky surface on a hot day as this will be a hunting bow.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Shoe Polish Finish
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:00:26 pm »
I don't know. I never used shoe polish on a bow. I'd be afraid the bow would walk away. LOL. But if Jim told you so I'd listen. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:25:44 pm »
                                                          did you use  Liquid or Paste Polish??

Paste Polish is mostly combination of waxy emulsions composed of a number of partially blended liquids and solids mixed together...... It is usually made from ingredients including some or all of naphtha.....benzene.... lanolin.... turpentine.... wax (often Carnauba wax)..... gum arabic and if required a dye of some sort....

I don't know if a Sealer will coat over Paste Wax....since it has Parafin or Carnauba in it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 01:05:00 am »
                                                          did you use  Liquid or Paste Polish??

Paste Polish is mostly combination of waxy emulsions composed of a number of partially blended liquids and solids mixed together...... It is usually made from ingredients including some or all of naphtha.....benzene.... lanolin.... turpentine.... wax (often Carnauba wax)..... gum arabic and if required a dye of some sort....

I don't know if a Sealer will coat over Paste Wax....since it has Parafin or Carnauba in it....
Yea... what he said.   

Just seal it with a good wax finish.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:44:39 pm »
now i wouldnt say that ther is anything wrong with making a bow that way,ive made several bows from staves purchased from jim.

i like his stuff ;D they are a good way to start and learn how to tiller, and ya never know you might just but a kit and glue it up your self next time.

as far as the finish goes, i usually just use carnuba wax on boo, the ipe and hickory and osage i always have used tongue oil.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

ripmyfly

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:42:48 am »
Thanks so much guys for the info. I did coat it w/ carnuba & looks awesome!