Author Topic: 1st Osage bow. Tiller question (Now with Photos!!)  (Read 6787 times)

bowkill

1st Osage bow. Tiller question (Now with Photos!!)
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:42:47 am »
(Sorry, but unable to post photos)

Here it is in a nutshell.

55" ntn
1 1/2" wide
D shape bend in handle
Tried to make a plains style bow

Tiller good:   On tillering tree At full draw (25") it looks great (to me).  Nice fairly eavenly curving limbs and 55 lbs

Tiller bad:  When braced one limb looks like it doesn't have near as much bend.  The D looks off.

Question:  What do I do?  Is this possible, or is my untrained eye not seeing the stiffness of the one limb at full draw?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:29:49 pm by bowkill »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: 1st Osage bow. Tiller question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:50 am »
Bowkill, dont sweat it to much, them shorty bows really exagerate tiller issues..if it shoots with little to no handshock it cant be off to much. If you remove wood from the stiffer braced limb it WILL effect the full draw... does the stiffer limb have more reflex(or less set) when unbraced?....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

bowkill

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:02:35 am »
The stiffer limb does has a little more "natural" string follow.  It's a little snakey and has a natural bend in it there.  The other limb doesn't have any follow at all (yet). 

Here is another question.  I've looked at other bows similar to this on here, and at full draw they usually have 4-6 inches of arrow sticking out in front of the bow.  I planned on cutting my arrows to "fit" the bow.  Isn't that what I should do?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 02:46:23 am »
well if the tiller looks good at draw, let the arrows fly brother.

as far as arrow length goes. thats a personal preferance thing,some people leave them long so they dont have to worry about getting their fingers in
the way of broadheads,some like tucked up to the bow(like on a wheel bow),myself i leave thme a little long about two inches past the back of the bow.
its not much but it gives me a little comfort knowing my knuckles are clear of the broadhead,and if i pull a little harder i still keep the arrow here it needs to be.

peace,
                                                                               tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 12:31:30 pm »
Make the stiffer limb the lower limb.  When you draw it gets more stress, and bering stiffer it will be stronger and hold up better.

You might try bracing it and then meauring the depth from belly to string at set distances from the center of the bow.  That'll give you some idea of how far off it is.  You typically want the lower limb to be 1/8"-1/4" closer to the string at the deepest point (which will be pretty close to the handel on a bendy handle bow.)

As for arrow length, its more im portant that the arrows be spined for the bow.  Shortening an arrow, makes it effectively stiffer.  Using a heavier point, makes it more limber.  You want to play with the combination of length and point weight (if you have different weight field points that is) until you get good arrow flight, ie,  the arrow doesn't slap the riser on takeoff or consistently hit left or right of where you're aiming.  But yes its nice not to have  arrows sticking way out front of the bow riser, so you can always get a closer-spined arrow for your draw weight to start and thatll make it more likely that they'll be of a length taht isn't too m uch out in front of the riser. 
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »
 Well, Tom said everything I was going to say.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

bowkill

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:23:50 pm »
I'll try a couple photos.  I know you guys are jealous of my fancy bow rack, but I work on the road, and took these photos in my motel room.  (The maids haven't said anything yet about the strange yellow dust in the bathroom)

[attachment deleted by admin]

bowkill

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:29:10 pm »
Hey!!! It worked!!!  Here are a couple more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Shaun

Re: 1st Osage bow. Tiller question (Now with Photos!!)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 11:53:13 pm »
Nice bow! I have worked on the road a lot and have shot in my room but never made a bow in the tub, good idea.

Left limb looks a little stiffer in both the brace and drawn photos. It is bending less about the middle third. Before you take any off though you should shoot it some. See how it feels and figure out which is the top and bottom limb. As stated above, the bottom limb likes to be a little stiffer and a bit closer to the string at brace.

Not reason to cut arrows real short, you'd need very weak spine for a 26" arrow. Let em hang out there a bit, makes it easier to point too.

bowkill

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:06:43 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Now tell me how you shoot in your room!!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 12:20:45 am »
                                           get you a good old Couch Cushion....they work awesome!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 12:31:28 am »
Very nice Bowkill. You done good!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Shaun

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 12:44:59 am »
To shoot in a motel room, set a cube type layered target on the lounge chair in one corner and back up as far as you can into the far corner. This is great for working on form and to keep you bow drawing muscles in shape. Hint.... stop before you get real tired, the little round holes hardly show in the chair, but you don't want to make a habit of it. If you chose your hotel for its location, you can sometimes shoot in the back yard.

Always admired the 30 yard potential of the hallways but could never figure out how to keep people in their rooms.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 01:03:12 am »
                                              You are a Whacko Shaun.....my kinda people!!!

>:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 12:37:20 pm »
That's gotta be a La Quinta ;D. What kind of work do you do? Bow's looking good, I carry a small hand broom and dust pan in my tool box for shaving's and chips so housekeeping doesn't say anything ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.