Author Topic: The corner of Osage and Hedge  (Read 4970 times)

Offline waterlogged

Re: The corner of Osage and Hedge
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 05:41:42 pm »
Yeah, talked to a very nice lady behind the desk. Told her I make bows, she said it was really neat, and that I could pretty much cut whatever I wanted within certian rules, and under 8cords (that would be /a lot/ of bow wood) for a $20 permit, though I had to specify hardwood, softwood or half and half. There seemed to be no problem at all. Drop me a PM sometime.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 05:52:28 pm »
PM sent.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 06:18:16 pm »
Congratulations on your score. Here in Kansas its all over the place, problem is most and I mean most, is too knarly to make bows with. Thats why I'm always rubber necking it looking for straight trees. Seems like that constant south wind really puts the strain on it. I think the twist and such is just the trees way of dealing with it as it grows. Did you get it debarked and seal the back and ends yet? Osage likes to check pretty bad if you don't seal the ends. Hope it turns out well.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 08:25:50 pm »
Thanks Danny,
I haven't taken any bark off yet but the end are sealed very well.  This stuff was a little knarly but not too bad. here's a few pictures.
In the picture with two staves the one one the right is 64" long and approx 6-7"wide,  it weighs 55lbs

Mark

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »
wow nice haul. you need some help choping it up into bows let me know..
congrads.
n2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline sailordad

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:22 pm »
you are one lucky son of a buck. :o

i dont have any growing anywhere near me :'(, but i do have a neighbor who goes back home to Ok area to hunt very year,he said he would bring me back some
bodark this year.  all i could say was "sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet dude."

i think he'll get the first bow from it once its been split and cured,that is if he rememers to bring it back.

dang that must have been rough to have to cut and split all of that would,and the whole time you were probalaby already picking out the best ones and
seeing the bows in them, i know i would have been.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:26 pm »
oh yeah, theres bows in them thar staves.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 02:31:56 pm »
Nice haul! Now part two of the saving it from the bugs starts - getting it all peeled and sealed :P shew :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 03:40:34 pm »
I started peeling a few today.  I did spray the whole pile of wood with a pestiside hopefully that will help.  I have one roughed out and sealed.  I like to start working them green, I'll let it sit for a week or so and then make sure it's sealed reallly good and then put it in a cual to get some reflex then the hot box @ 90-100 F  for 10-15 days.
Mark