Author Topic: Anybody have a stave  (Read 3139 times)

Huaco

Anybody have a stave
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:48:47 pm »
Ok... So I think I just ended up chopping down that Flowering Dogwood as a good gesture for the old lady... It was pretty badly checked... I think I will save it though for various wood needs such as a knife handle or something.  Anyway, It made me feel good to get that tree down for the ol lady.

I am really wanting to get into bowyering.  Unfortunatly, at this point in my life I don't have much time or access to land to tromp around and look for saplings, or trees to produce a stave. 

I don't really know what wood to ask for.  I know Osage is about the best... not sure if I want to start with that or something a bit less snaky! 

What would you fellas suggest a novice to start with?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:32:21 pm by Justin Snyder »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody have a stave
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53:03 pm »
Craig, I probably have something you could use. Let me see what I have and I'll send you a PM. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »
Ok... So I think I just ended up chopping down that Flowering Dogwood as a good gesture for the old lady... It was pretty badly checked... I think I will save it though for various wood needs such as a knife handle or something.  Anyway, It made me feel good to get that tree down for the ol lady.

I am really wanting to get into bowyering.  Unfortunatly, at this point in my life I don't have much time or access to land to tromp around and look for saplings, or trees to produce a stave. 

A Red Oak or Hickory Board from Home Depot.....Lowes or Mesnards....that would be a cheap purchase and a good learning experience too...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Huaco

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 01:02:20 pm »

A Red Oak or Hickory Board from Home Depot.....Lowes or Mesnards....that would be a cheap purchase and a good learning experience too...
I tried this option about 1.5 yrs. ago.  After chasing the first complete ring and floor tillering, the bow turned out to be about 15 pound draw!  Maybe I just used the wrong technique.  It was a 1x2 6' long red oak... The fellas in HD wood department were looking at me strange.  I must have looked through 100 sticks to find "the one".

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
No need to chase a ring on a board bow :o Find a board with the straightest grain and back it with linen or silk, easy as pie :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:23:18 pm »
Ditto what Dana said...and I always try to find Edged or Biased Cut wood....and then Back it or not....it will hold up....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Huaco

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:33:36 pm »
No need to chase a ring on a board bow :o Find a board with the straightest grain and back it with linen or silk, easy as pie :)

I read up on how to back with silk... My question is, what kind of silk and where do I get it? 

Can I just run down to the local fabric store and pick out any silk, or does it need to be unbleached/natural stuff?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 02:38:08 pm »
I think any silk will work, I've always used linen and yea I buy it at the fabric store.

In case you haven't seen it check out Jawge's site lots of info on board bows.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:31:45 pm »
i have heard on here that he silk will need to be cut a certain way to retain its strength though,one way it pulls apart fairly easy,the other not so easy.

good luck

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 06:54:41 pm »
  I buy my silk at the fabric store also. I like the unbleached. When you cut it just cut it so the threads ar running the length of the bow. I usually glue it down with TB3.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline shamus

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 11:25:17 am »
Talk to your local tree trimmer.

Tell him what you need and offer to buy the logs from him. You can get them for a decent price. I got a few hickory logs for $20
apiece a few years ago.