Author Topic: First Selfbow  (Read 3395 times)

Offline red

First Selfbow
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:37:07 am »
I have worked my stave down to one ring and the rings are kind of thin so should I back it with something? 

Thanks!
Michael
MICHAEL PRESNELL

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: First Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:57:59 am »
Depends.  Have you violated a ring?  What kind of wood are you using?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline red

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:11 am »
it's osage i didn't violate a ring but there are some knots
MICHAEL PRESNELL

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:53:03 am »
You can back it with rawhide, silk or linen and use carpenters glue or hide glue.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 12:11:13 pm »
Can you show us some pictures? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 01:28:10 pm »
How long is the bow? And what draw length and weight are you shooting for? As for the knots are they on the belly or the back? just leave a little extra wood around them and you should be fine.

Offline red

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:30:31 pm »
Its 65 inch's tnt I'm hoping for 50# at 26 inch's and knots are on the back i will try to post some pics. I thank all you guys for the help!
MICHAEL PRESNELL

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:48:59 pm »
Probably pictures are needed for some one to make a sugestion. If you have done it right and the knots are not too bad you will be fine.   L.J.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 09:24:53 am »
I have a lot with knots,in fact most Osage has knots so if they aren't on the edge and you worked over the top without violating the grain it should be fine.I like fairly narrow growth rings and have had no real problem with them. :) Pictures would help. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline red

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 10:22:26 pm »
Thanks for the input pappy I'm working on pics. My camera is not working right with my computer. :o
MICHAEL PRESNELL

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:18 pm »
Red, pretty neat that you are working on a bow. I usually recommend that beginners back their first few bows for piece of mind. The presence of knots may make that had to do though and you said your stave had knots. Also, knots need to be worked properly and tillered correctly. Plenty of expert help on here. Right here on this site. It's a marvelous thing really. Do take advantage. Ask lots of questions. Post some pictures too if you can. I wish I had this help when I started. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 06:28:55 am »
Me to Jawges ,it just amazes me when a lot of the first time guys/gals turn out a shooting
bow on the first try.That is so cool. Keep the questions coming Red.Love to see the progress
as you go along. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sailordad

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 10:59:54 am »
Red, pretty neat that you are working on a bow. I usually recommend that beginners back their first few bows for piece of mind. The presence of knots may make that had to do though and you said your stave had knots. Also, knots need to be worked properly and tillered correctly. Plenty of expert help on here. Right here on this site. It's a marvelous thing really. Do take advantage. Ask lots of questions. Post some pictures too if you can. I wish I had this help when I started. :) Jawge

Me to Jawges ,it just amazes me when a lot of the first time guys/gals turn out a shooting
bow on the first try.That is so cool. Keep the questions coming Red.Love to see the progress
as you go along. :)
   Pappy

yup listen to these two gentlemen,they are a couple of the best,never seen either make a bad bow yet. many here value your their input

peace,
                                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline red

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 10:14:48 pm »
I really appreciate all help. I'm glad theres some where to ask questions and get good answers. I'll have more questions in coming weeks when i get more time to work on my bow. So thanks!
MICHAEL PRESNELL