Author Topic: Short R/D HBIOI  (Read 4548 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Short R/D HBIOI
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:59 am »
Finished this one the other day.. It is Hickory backed Ipe,Osage and Ipe lams in the limbs the handle is Osage,Ipe and purple hart and the limb tip over lays are Hickory,Ipe and Osage. It's 57" NTN 50# at 26" 1" wide at fades tapering to 7/16" at nocks. I was quite surprised at how flat shooting this little bow is It has no virtually hand shock. I started shooting it in and just couldn't quit shooting  ;D.
 I think I'm going to try one around 60" and 60# at 26.
David

Ian Johnson

Re: Short R/D HBIOI
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:09:39 am »
wow, that looks like a shooter, how did the reverse handle one come out, you make some awesome bows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:13:47 am »
Another cool bow, David. You sure are cranking them out.   Nice work!  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline knightd

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:16:09 am »
Thanks Ian and pat.  I hope I will be finished tillering the reverse handle tomorrow. Iv'e got my fingers crossed. ;D

David

Ian Johnson

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:18:30 am »
mine are crossed too, it would be really cool if it works ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 05:44:31 am »
Very nice David. Well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:40:16 am »
Very nice bow David
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:49:28 am »
That's a very good looking bow...looks like you've got a cane arrow in it for your full draw picture.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:50:31 am »
Your a bow making machine! How manny does that make this month? Yet another Fine weapon.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 10:42:21 am »
Great looking bow. You did good rolling the Ipe up the fades and feathering them in. How thick are the laminations, and how much does the bow weigh? Ill bet it would pick up some performance if you changed the Ipe and Osage core lams to something lighter in weight. It is something I had to learn the hard way.  All that heavy wood as a core hinders more than it helps.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 11:52:06 am »
Dang, wish I could shoot it. Very nice and a great candidate for Aug Laminate BOM. Nice Dog.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:03:05 pm »
What a pretty bow - love the way those laminates look, and sounds like a darn good shooter.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline knightd

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 12:41:49 pm »
Thank's guy's. I started this one to give away at the hunters helping kids event that me and nugget went to this past weekend. But ended up making another one for it because this one came out to heavy.
 Justin the lams are hickory 1/8" tapered to 1/16" at tips, Ipe center core 5/32" full length, Osage 5/16" tapering to 1/32" 3" from tips, Ipe belly lam is 1/8"at fades. Right at the fades it goes down 1/16" and then the last 8" it is 1/32". I don't have no way to weigh the bow. I do have some maple that I could replace the Osage core with and give that a try..
 Ryano I think this was #8 for this month that was finished plus I have been working on a Elm self bow and A Osage self bow and A reverse handle design. The self bows are both recurved and one is going to be sinew backed I'm not sure which one??

Oldbow what is your draw length?? Thank you for the complement on my hound.. Every time the camera comes out she tries to get in the pic..lol..

cowboy.  I've got to say it shoots sweet. One of those that you just pic up and the first shot is on the money..Just plain fun to shoot.

here is a pic of the young man that won the other bow that I built for the event. He was a bit small for the bow so I'm building one to fit him next week.  I did give away the bow to another young man at the event this past weekend.. So it get a home. every one of the kids was holding on to there raffle ticket like it was the golden ticket in Willy wonkas chocolate factory. :)

David

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 12:56:02 pm »
Good things your doing there David! I notice all the young eyes are riveted on that bow ;D, good to see!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 01:41:23 pm »
Nice, Really Nice :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI