Author Topic: Black Walnut  (Read 4545 times)

Offline sailordad

Re: Black Walnut
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 07:53:55 pm »
ya BW is hard to come by here also,atleast a tree with any size to it.

i know another guy whos got about a 30" BW in his front yard,some cabinet maker stopped by and offerd him $20,000 for the entire tree.
he siad nope,i'll wait untill its bigger.

not sure if he meant the tree or the offer

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:51:30 pm »
Yep, stick with the basic whitewood principle, and you will be all right.  Just take off the bark and let that be the back of the bow.  The heartwood is much prettier, but it just won't hold up.  If you want something really pretty, however, make a bamboo-backed walnut bow using the heartwood.  Not only is the color contrast outstanding, the bow performs very well.

Dan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 06:50:22 am »
Sailordad send that guy my way,I have a bunch of BW on my farm,it get pretty high sometime but not near that high. :) I have made a few from the sap wood that turned out OK,That was
when I first started so i would say you could make a really good one if you treat it right.Didn't
know much about it then and they shot so that says a lot about the wood cause I broke a lot back then.  ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good