Author Topic: first holmgaard. green hickory?  (Read 4526 times)

Offline burn em up chuck

first holmgaard. green hickory?
« on: August 19, 2008, 12:15:33 am »
i bought a green hickory stave about 1 1/2 years ago and figuired it would be dry enough to start working into a holmy. it had about 1in. reflex when started and right after taking string off is about 1 1/2" string follow. does this mean it's retaining to much moisture still ? or am i doing somthing wrong in the tillering process ? i know it's hard to judge without stave in hand. but i don't want to lose much more weight, 5#'s max. that would put me around 43#@ 28". or do i need to control mc better? here's some pictures sorry best i can do short of sending it each of you.

will get more pictures if you need.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: first holmgaard. green hickory?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:05 am »
How long and or wide is it? What is the relitive humidity level and temp where youve been storing it ?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:27 am »
   1.5" of sring follow after nstringing doesnt sound that bad to me.  but then i've never made a holmie,only admired a few of them

although it does look like the right limb could bend a little more about mid limb out to the end of the working limb area. jm2cw

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Shaun

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:31:07 am »
Is it humid where you are? Hickory will go from dry to soupy wet in a few hours in high humidity. Once dry it can be sealed with various things to slow this wicking up humidity process, but it never is waterproof or even damp proof, kinda like sinew.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:26 am »
Hi,  1.5 " doesn't sound that bad to me either.  The one Holmgard I've made has ~2 inches of string follow and still shoots pretty fast.  You could consider heat treating the belly to regain some reflex.  Heat treating would also lower the moisture content (at least temporarily.)    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:15:54 am »
sorry guys so into how to ask questions, forgot the good stuff.
overall : 68"
ntn : 66 1/2"
limb width : 1 1/2"
working limbs : 17 1/2"(one limb)
i live in the north west, past couple of days cooler and some rain. maybe drawing moisture?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 05:46:57 am »
Nice looking bow,as far as string follow that ant that bad but it is probably wet,I work a lot of Hickory and you have to keep it in a hot box or good dry place while you are working on it or it will take on moisture. I tiller them in 2 or 3 sessions and keep them in the dry when I ant working on them.Then when it is finished I seal right away and seal it good.I usually don't get much follow since I starting doing it that way.You could unstring it and put it up for a few day and then check it ,you
will also probably pick up some weight     :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bambule

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:31:29 am »
Try to heat treat the limbs, that will reduce set, pimp up the weight and stop moisture - Hickory is very accessible for dry heat.

Greetz
Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:18:52 am »
As long as the set is well distributed throughout the working limb section then don't worry about it.

like others have said heat treatment might be good !
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:35:50 am »

the bow looks great, i think!
yes, i would heat treat the belly with the heatgun, too!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:56:18 am »
That sounds like a normal amount of set, especially when you consider that the Holmegaard design has very short highly stressed working limbs-it's basically a really short bow with stiff levers attached to the ends.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Papa Matt

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:36:18 am »
I've worked with a lot of hickory and it is one of the woods that really will take any opportunity to absorb moisture and take a set on you. That's just the way it is, that's why most people on here are saying that the ammount of set you have incurred doesn't sound that bad to them. Hickory is a strong, heavy wood, excellent for bows, but may not act like you'd like it to act.

A little set's not always a bad thing too though, as long as you have good tiller. And the only ways to deal with it is to check your tiller, make sure you're not bending too much, especially coming out of the handle, heat treat the bow, put it in your car or truck with the windows up for a few days and then seal it with whatever you use.

But for the length of bow you're working with, you're doing ok. Personallly, I don't think your design is the best for a 68" hickory. A slight bend-in-the-handle with a simple narrow profile with a slightly rounded belly for me is the best (for least set).

~~Papa Matt

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:56:39 am »
An inch and a half string follow is not bad at all with hickory. If you're satisfied with the way it shoots then enough said.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

radius

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:48:33 am »
that lower limb needs a little work, but i'm with the other guys:  1.5" of set is minor...clean up the tiller a shade and then enjoy the thing, man!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 12:37:01 pm »
 thank you, everyone for taking the time to respond. i feel better, thought i screwed up. hickory was the first split stave i ever layed out, and completed. testement to hickory's durabuility everything was wrong on my part and it held together. with about 5" string follow.
  like i sead thank you, i'm off to build a hot box. hey, theres a good idea for a knew topic,or has it been done already? if so tell were, are there pictures?

chuck