Author Topic: Osage D bow  (Read 9131 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Osage D bow
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 08:14:03 am »
That's a good looking bow Dano, how's it shoot? :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05:10 am »
Great looking bow, Dano.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:52:53 am »
Great to see, Dano.  Osage really shows its stuff in the short styles.

Dave

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 10:59:08 am »
Man, I missed all the purty bows while on vacation - I like that one, gonna have to get busy on a shorty myself. Wait a minute, is that chert I see under that cactus ::) ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:12 am »
wow - didn't know you could go THAT skinny  :o  and still get  45 pounds!  Love the keeper also.
John
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:07 pm »
The string keeper sure got my attention :P - that's a really neat idea! Got your very well tillered bow all bookmarked, too :)
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

DCM

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 02:01:38 pm »
Fantastic bow Dano.  Good to see you posting your work.

Offline Dano

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 02:04:18 pm »
Thanks guys, David when are we going to see some of your work? Hummmm
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

DCM

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 05:37:02 pm »
I've been keeping pretty close to home Dano and I don't cross post.  Was pretty busy at TBJ trying to get them up to speed, last year and before I reckon.  Posted several projects there.  Posted some on a little out of the way place a hand full of guys hang at this year.  PA has plenty of traffic without my help these days.

Back in the day I was a regular ham up in here and other sites.  Nearly always had a thread or two going.  Been so long I don't think half the folks who see me post have ever seen me make a bow.  Got one on deck I'm fixin to smear w/ clear.  Maybe I'll throw up a trophy shot or two. 

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/site/?/photos/

Not sure what all is up here, some old and some new for sure but you are welcome to look around.  Have recently changed ISP, so it's all discombobulated now and a pita to put back like it was.

Been on a real good building jag lately but mostly just roughing out bows.  Got probably 5 or 6 busted down from bark on staves and floor tillered, couple of billet splices, etc.  Hinged one so bad about 2 or 3 weeks back, pizzed me off so much I ain't built on much since.  But I did re-finish a porch swing for the lil woman.  Cedar and oak turned out real purty w/ tung oil.  Prolly hang it tonight in fact.  Yard chores, life have kept me hoppin' too.

Now that we got the niceties out of the way, how come your nock point is so far up the string on that bow?  I've noticed this w/ your bows before.  Do you 3 under?  Tend to heal a bow a lot, or high wrist?  Usually on a bendy handle they tend have a sweet spot more towards the middle.  Tiller is dead nuts, and I'm sure it shoots good but I get a burr up my butt on a bow that doesn't nearly bisect the string.  Worries on me somehow but I can't figure out why.  Have a pignut bow very similar I built 2 or 3 years back.  Love them lil D bows btw.  I may measure it tonight and see what it does.  Prolly just like yours.  LOL

Offline acker

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 05:42:49 pm »
A really nice bow - good work!

Acker

Offline Dano

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 06:01:55 pm »
Now ya got me thinkin David, I'm going to look into this. I see what your saying from the full draw picture. The arra rest is 1 3/4" above center and the knock point is about 3/8" above that. I'll try shooting it closer to center and see how it goes.

Nevada

DCM

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 06:06:24 pm »
"Now ya got me thinkin David..."

Ut oh!  And I promised to use my powers only for good.  LOL  Don't overthink it Dano.  You know how I can be sometimes.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 06:43:49 pm »
Darned nice mess of shad you caught there, is that your grandpa in the picture?  No cross-posting, hmm does that mean the rest of us are cross-posters?  Sounds deviant.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 06:49:24 pm »
I didn't overthink it too much, I just went out and shot that bow an inch closer to center, and OMG what a difference. You know after awhile of makin bows or anything ya kinda get stuck on stupid ::) I had stopped looking for a sweeter spot on my bows seems like 1 3/4 above center was just right for most bows, but not these D bows. I tried it with the ugly Boo back bulletwood I just made too and it really helped it . Now I gotta cut those floopies off and I guess I'll just shoot off the knuckel till I feel like changing the handle wrap. ;) Thanks David, now I guess we need a new full draw picture. ::)

Nevada

DCM

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 07:00:29 pm »
You had me wondering what the heck you were talking about for a minute there Lennie.  No, he's my ole fishing buddy Rod.  Been knowing him since we were just teenagers.  He's a year or more younger than me actually.  But he makes his living with his hands, which ages a man in a way that's profound after a few decades pass.  Good man.  Caught that fine mess of crappie with my wife.  Been several years back.  Great day, but a cold and windy March.  Gotta love a woman who will go crappie fishin' with ya on a crappy day.  Won't touch a cricket, but othern that a pretty fair hand her ownself.  Cross posting is when you sprinkle your build alongs or trophy shots on 5 or 6 sites all over the internet all at the same time.  Seems kinda, "Uh ok, I get it already."  But I can see how you might reach a larger audience.  If it were deviant, I might find it a bit more appealing.