Author Topic: Pit River Indian (Acumawi) Yew and sinew  (Read 7917 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Re: Pit River Indian (Acumawi) Yew and sinew
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 07:11:37 pm »
what they said, well done. yew and sinew, a match made in heaven!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 07:22:28 pm »
Good looking bow-almost looks like you went back in time and snatched it from the hand of a long-ago bowmaker.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »
impressive bow

26" draw from a 45" long bow,wow

gotta ask, those tips look like they could have been a bear to get bent back so far and keep them lined up properly,how did ya do it?

awesome job,love that bow keep up the great work.

peace,
                                                                                    tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 09:51:18 pm »
Wow, another great looking replica Steve. You sure make some nice ones.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:53 pm »
Fabulous bow. I was skeptical when I saw the braced profile, but the tiller looks good on the full-draw.  Congratulations on making the adjustment.
Gordon

Offline Shaun

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 11:02:57 pm »
I hate to be the odd man out but I think the braced tiller is reflected in the full draw being balanced only by knocking the arrow high above the center. I love the materials and the recurved tips and pin knocks, the general theme of the bow  but just can't get past the brace shape.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 11:20:46 pm »
"I hate to be the odd man out but I think the braced tiller is reflected in the full draw being balanced only by knocking the arrow high above the center "

huh?? ::)

Take a  closer look. The arrow is nocked slightly above center. What you are saying makes no sence. If the arrow was nocked hig above cenet it would stiffen the bottom limb even more. I have made 12 of these now an kno exaclty where the arrow flies best out of the bow. What you are sugesting is slightly offencive to me as a bowyer. I would sugest that you look closer and know the dynamics of a tiller prior to making statements like that.

Steve

Offline Shaun

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 12:15:53 am »
Steve, no offense meant and I almost did not post but I thought my input might be either helpful to you or a chance for me to learn more by telling what I saw and hearing the feedback. I believe - and am quite possibly completely wrong - that 90% of tillering takes place before full brace height is reached and that after that it is just touch up to finish. I have trouble seeing through what looks like a hinge in the top limb. I think that it is possible to "feel" for the correct spot on the string to find the balance point for drawn tiller but that this may not be the most efficient spot if the brace profile is off.

Again, I am fully open to the idea that I am wrong, very wrong.  Just trying to honestly say what I see and to live and learn.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 12:29:57 am »
Thats ok,
To answer your question. I would say no. Meaning that not all the tiller is in the braced profile. I have seen bows that look perfect at brace but way off at tiller just as I have seen great tillers way off at brace. Sometimes you tiller to brace and ot looks good and from there you are golden with a smooth ride till the end....other times it des not work that way. When dealing with wood.....espically knotty wood all the rules go away and you have to go by tiller. Yew is a lumy wood that goes up and down. This piece is no exception it is very much a charecter piece. Its one of the things allot of people miss in charcetre staves.......hinges are one thing.......lumpy bows qujite another. there is not a hinge on that bow. What you are seeing is charceter. If you cannot see through the arc then keep trying and keep looing at snakey bows and it will come. You just cannot smooth out every hump in a bow.....espically one this short. It just does not work. That however does not equate to a hinge. A hinge is a distinct think that is not missable in a bow like this. These bows hide nothing.

Sorry if I took offence to what you said but it does bother me to hear stuff said like that , not because it nessecarily bothers me personally, but because it cause miss information in a art that is full of mis information and mis conceptions.

Hope that all makes sence for you.,

Steve

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 07:06:12 am »
Shaun I am with you in most cases I like the brace tiller to be pretty even but in the case
of character wood that I use a lot of,Like Steve said that all goes out the window,then
it is all about full draw and even with that you can't always get it prefect where you have
knots and humps,this is a good example of a well tillered Character bow.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 07:28:31 am »
Ok, back to the technical stuff.

Tim, it was not to hard to keep alignment. When I do recurves I willer them to about 20" prior to sinewing to make sure taht everything aligns. I make the nesecary adjustments as i go. Sometimes you need a little heat to get them aligned. The hardest thing is because the limbs are so wide and the recurve so big the limbs want to twist if the tiller is not good in section....meaning side to side wood balance.

Mark, Yes. I made this handel a bot stiffer. I have made quite a few of these and have made the tiller differnt on every one from perfcet circle to this. I have come to prefer a little bot less bend in the handel on this style bow. They of corse still need to bend a bit.

Here is an earlier version:

That bow still shoots great and is holding tiller ok. But this new one seems to be a bit faster and has better early draw weight.

Thanks guys fr all the nice comments, espically Oldbow that is a great thing to say.

Steve

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 10:55:30 am »
i just find that incredible, such a short bow with such a long draw, and 90 degree curves  wow :o

ya just gotta love 'em

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Keenan

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 10:49:25 pm »
 Absolutely stunning replica. You really did hit the mark on that one. Congratulations,    Keenan

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 08:14:00 am »
Thanks guys!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 09:02:24 am »
Beautiful bow...fine work indeed! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...