Author Topic: Osage D bow  (Read 9128 times)

Offline Dano

Re: Osage D bow
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 07:07:35 pm »
This looks a little better huh? Thanks David.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 10:55:07 am »
That looks just right Dano.  Good even bend, no pinkie extension on the grip hand.

Mims I halfway thought the guy might have been ol' Dean Torges, otherwise I wouldn't have diss'ed him like that.  My apologies to your friend.  Shannon wants me to take her duck hunting this fall, she's taking the Hunter's Ed course in a month.  We call wives in the duck blind, hand warmers.

I understodd your cross-post comment, I surf around and see it all the time.  I know lots of people like to see bow photos though, and some don't hit all the sites.  I suppose there's an element of ego involved, however we got a right to be proud.  Especially you.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DCM

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 11:01:24 am »

To be honest Dano it's hard for me to detect much difference.  But I can see some difference.  The change in perspective makes it difficult.  Did it move the nock point much?  Where is the nock point relative to the center of the string?  That it shoots better is the final word.  I know you have heard me talk about shorter lower limb, bisecting the string and all that rot.  Now maybe you can see why I go to all the trouble of worrying folks who are otherwise blissful regarding placement of arrow pass.  It is my opinion that it matters, just the same for bendy handle as stiff and for the same reasons.  It's just that the stiff handled bows are able to mask the difference.  Also I think it's important that one set out with a particular config in mind and then tiller to that, but you know on these pics it really didn't change the bending, the overall tiller shape much at all.  Which leads me to wonder whether you might be able to go lower.  Just don't fool around and pull it out of tiller.  Theoretically it is already in balance at the orginal (high) arrow pass config.

Still love them lil bendy handled bows.  I need shoot the old hickory one I built.  I generally don't even do a wrap or arrow pass on them.  Just buckle up and shoot offen my hand.

DCM

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2008, 11:08:57 am »
Lennie,

"...halfway thought the guy might have been ol' Dean Torges,"

Rod is from Galion, OH originally.  When you get up in that part of the country, amungst yankees, they all seem to look the same.  LOL  Ole Rod is German, and turned me on to home-maid bratwurst.  Freaking outstanding grub.  I think Deano is Greek.  Not sure what they eat, or that I could pronounce it, but I imagine it's purty tasty too.  I loves me some cultural diversity.

I see the benefit of posting all over, and don't really dis fellars about the ego part.  Although if you haven't noticed, being a naturally humble guy, bowyerin' will get your ego all tangled up in a heartbeat.  It was very compelling for me, and a bit of a surprise, when I went to the first MoJam.  I have to be careful still.  Very important for one to be mindful of his place on the food chain, imho.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2008, 04:00:36 pm »
beautiful...

Offline Dano

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2008, 04:42:38 pm »
It's pretty easy for me to the difference with the bisecting lines you drew. Lowering the arrow pass 1" doesn't seem like allot, but it sure made a big difference in this bow, I re-wraped the handle with out a shelf or strike plate, so I can still play with the location of the pass. The string knock is about 1 3/8 above center, I get too much porpoising when I go lower on the string. The difference in hand shock was unreal, now I get that nice thump, without all the loose teeth. ;D

Nevada

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:21 pm »
Nice bow Dano.  How does it shoot?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dano

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 10:01:12 pm »
Thanks Marc, it shoots good now ::)

Nevada

Offline Keenan

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 12:31:26 am »
 Very nice bow Dano, Also liked the informing changes. Thank you  Keenan

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:55 am »
Looking good Dano. Those bendy handle short bows are a lot of fun to build and shoot.