Author Topic: Help chasing B.L. ring  (Read 8707 times)

Offline newknapper

Help chasing B.L. ring
« on: August 17, 2008, 11:38:53 pm »
I have started chasing the ring on this stave I got from Lavern off ebay, am I ok with the ring I have right now or do I need to go lower?

Here is a end shot this end has been taken to one ring

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help chasing B.L. ring
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:42 pm »
That top ring is fine. Looks like a nice clean stave. You have enough wood to build any bow you want with that stave.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline newknapper

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 11:55:52 pm »
Thanks Pat, its 68" and has three pin knots but all are on the edge. I am really hoping to get a nice bow from it. I am shure I'll be asking more ???'s in the future

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:00:54 am »
Ask all you need. We'll give you the answers.   If the pin knots can be centered in the limb or eliminated all together, do so. You don't want them on the edge if you can help it.     Have fun!  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 12:01:27 am »
Take of the lighter sapwood. Looks like you have enough wood to go to a darker heartwood ring. There's a beautiful ring at about 3/8 inch. That's the best way to handle BL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline newknapper

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:47:51 am »
The stave is 2" wide do you guys think 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 out to mid limb is too narrow? I was wanting a stiff handled bow. Maybe that will get rid of the knots

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:50:24 am »
I'm with Jawge-looks like you're still in the sapwood. I'd take it down to that ring about 5/16" on the tape. 1 5/8"-1 3/4" width works good with locust.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:24:33 am »
What poundage and draw length do you want?  And how long is your design going to be?  That plays into the choice of width.  For example, I'd go with 1 1/2" to midlimb on a 66" n/n bow if I wanted anything up to 55lb@28".  Maybe 1 5/8" wide for 60lb+.

Less length for a draw under 28", less width for a lower poundage than the examples I mentioned.  This will let you have adequate wood to do the job, but not so much that your limbs are very thin which makes the bow hard to tiller (small change in thickness throws things off).

And yes most people chase a heartwood ring.  Its a little stronger and a lot more beautiful.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:29:14 am »
When I looked at the chased back ring it looks like locust heartwood I have chased. I didn't pay attention to the end grain shot. If you still have sapwood rings on your stave, get down to the first heartwood ring for your back.
  I have used locust sapwood for a back ring but I cut the wood and know how it was treated while curing. Generally speaking, the heartwood is what should be used with locust.    Pat

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:11:42 am »
I'm with steve (hillbilly) and George.
Go for the second heart ring. Looks nice and thick.

on the thickness of the bow. I go with steve as well. especially if you havnt worked with locust much or build many bows. I would go 1 5/8 min and more likely 1 3/4.
how long a draw you have and how long a bow u plan? weight? that would help with design planning as well.
luck
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:30:39 am »
Yep, i'd take three more rings off. That fourth and sixth one down look pretty bueno!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 11:57:18 am »
Agree, make #4 the back of the bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 12:11:20 pm »
Sorry, Pat. I figured you didn't note he was into sapwood still and should have stated that. I'd go further down than the second, N2, and get that next thick ring. My experience with BL suggests a 1 3/4 wide and don't skimp on the length. Not sure what draw we are dealing with here. Having said that my very first hunting weight shooter was made from a sapling BL and had a sapwood back. Sometimes you go with what you can. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline richpierce

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:39 pm »
really nice quality pictures of that end ring and they bring up a point I noticed.  On the top picture the 3rd ring is sapwood on the right and heartwood on the left in the same ring.  Plus I often note that a ring will be heartwood at the "stump" end of the stave and sapwood at the "top" end of a stave, so I always go down till it is all heartwood, full length and width.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 03:17:13 pm »
I noticed that too.  Its an interesting process, the conversion of sapwood to heartwood.  This is happening in what is supposed to be a dead material too.

I figure thats maybe one of the advantages of cutting in the winter, the conversion of that year's ring has been completed.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO