Author Topic: "FireStick"  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Kegan

"FireStick"
« on: August 17, 2008, 06:50:37 pm »
She's finally done Pat ;D!

This is my first Osage bow made from a beautifully clean stave from the ever helpful Pat B. It's a semi-ELB, 70" long with a longer top limb. The cross section is more flat than round. She's  backed with a linen table cloth (which might be cotton for all I know), and painted black with red "flames" one it, instead of the usual vines I use. The handle is built up with leather, and she's finished with spar urethane, which gives it a nice, fiery look (which, in conjunctuion with how quickly this bow shoots, earned its name). I'll cover it with a quick wiping of deer fat come season to cut the shine, but I like that "new toy look" for now :). She draws about 82# at 27.5" (my drawl length). The overlays are red bulleta, but look orange in the picture. I need a new string, but this bow is ready for hutnign season. I'm very pleased ;D.

I learned alot from this bow, such as why Osage isn't considered a superior ELB wood (the bow moves in the hand on realease- I'm used to a "jar" upon release and don't mind it, but it was more obvious before I added the leather under the grip). Also I learned that Osage is much easier to reach weight on, and does have the excellent cast it's rumored to- two factors that really helped me while building the style of bows I like :). Also, the physcial weight of the bow helps accuracy greatly, for I managed to sink an arrow into the target at 60 yards- a new "best" for me. I definately like this wood, but if you put the extra steps into it whitewoods seem to do as well in this design. I think Osage is ebtter off as a shorter flatbow though, which will be the style I will try when I get another peice to work on :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sailordad

Re: "FireStick"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »
nice lookingstick ya go there fella.

like they say in racing,  if its got flames,its gotta be fast.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Cromm

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:02:21 pm »
Hi,
Very nice work!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:02:40 pm »
From what I can see without a full draw pic ::) , she looks nice.  82# hurts me to think about but sounds like you are shooting it well. You could reduce the width of the tips and give her a bit less bite.
   You did a nice job. Every bowyer should experience an osage stave.  With the thin rings that stave is fairly dense and that adds to the physical weight.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:07:20 pm »
Sorry, computer's on the fritz. Here are some full draw.

I tried reducing the tips as much sa I could, and this is as far as I got without them wanting to bend out of shape, being as thick as the bow is. I used heat to re-straighten the limbs three times, as you can see form the dark spots. Another thing about Osage- it takes a nice finish. Just scraping the wood is was shiny and slick. It's a truly great wood.

Thanks guys :)!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 07:11:24 pm »
You done good, Grasshopper! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:13:56 pm »
Nice lookin bow. As with all woods, there are only a few designs that make them excel. I tried an osage elb once, was not impressed. Now a short bendy handle "D" osage and you got a firestick.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 07:17:25 pm »
You must hide the Muscles somewhere the Camera cant see....cause I am 6'2" and 230 pounds and I cant draw and Hold an 80 pound Bow like that...you da man..... ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 09:53:49 pm »
Thats probally the nicest bow I've seen you make Kegan. Nice job on that one. I do agree Osage is best if kept under 64"s ntn...Its just to heavy and dense for the length of bows your accustom to .....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 09:57:52 pm »
well done! art meets function.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 10:48:51 pm »
Very nice, Keegan. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 06:42:45 am »
Very nicely done Kegan.I like it a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Minuteman

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 08:14:08 am »
That field full of golden rod behind you in the FD pic has to have some arrow shafts in it. Course I doubt you'll find any spined to 80#. I have often wondered if his scale isn't boogered up, Destructo! ;D

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 08:37:47 am »
Nice bow Kegan, you sure make it look easy to draw 82#!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 08:44:00 am »
Good looking bow Kegan, ought to do the job for anything in the world you'd like to hunt with it! 82#...ouch! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...