Author Topic: Frank's Cane and Rush Supply?  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Kegan

Frank's Cane and Rush Supply?
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:15:30 pm »
They sell bamboo planks. Are these planks good for backing bows and all-bamboo laminates?

Offline waterlogged

Re: Frank's Cane and Rush Supply?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:09:19 pm »
yep.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps. ~Emo Philips
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones. ~Albert Einstein

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:01:28 pm »
I have used them in the past. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a bunch more not 20 minutes ago.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:56:53 pm »
That's where I get mine.

Mark

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:27:09 am »
I had so many failures out of Frank's bamboo that I almost stopped making bamboo backed bows.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 10:40:55 am »
I've used this bamboo for numerous (>10, <20) backed bows and never had a failure.  I ordered a batch of 20 or 25, its much cheaper that way.  Came out to around $4 apiece, although this was a couple years ago and I don't know how much shipping has gone up.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:53:34 pm »
Thanks guys! I was wondering- for an all boo laminate, pyramid style, would a taper from 2" to 1/2" be better than a taper of 1 3/4" to 3/8"? Provided they were both about 3/4" thick for weight, and about 6' long for low stress?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 07:05:54 pm »
I had so many failures out of Frank's bamboo that I almost stopped making bamboo backed bows.

Eric, My brother had the same problem with bamboo from them. Got several good batches and one bad batch. The bad batch caused about a half dozen bows to brake.....We don't deal with them anymore.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:04 pm »
Who do you recommend Ryan?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 10:20:41 pm »
Tom, the last batch he got was from a place in New Jersey, not sure of the name. I'll have to ask him.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 11:31:13 am »
I bought two 25 slat bundles from franks. First looked great but didn't hold up for bow backing. The next bundle arrived soaking wet inside, every slat was covered with mould. Threw all of this away, didn't order any more from them .

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »
So from the mixed results, I should buy only a small number, and test the quality?

Rich Saffold

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 12:08:37 am »
Kegan, You should order from one of the East coast vendors. The problems these guys talk about come from bamboo which gets too dried out when shipping or got soaked en route..

Giant yellow bamboo slats can easily become too dry either in the super dry air of a jet, or riding on a train through the southwest..

Getting wet/mold is package abuse from the shippers as well, and I know Franks didn't ship it like this..I have been using Franks bamboo for nearly 20 years and I can assure you...

Those of us on the West coast don't have these problems with Franks.

You don't want to risk getting bamboo shipped cross country..Shippers could care less what shape your product is in when it gets there, which is why the closest vendor is best in your situation..

...Look up Bamboo and Rattan works..I think they are in Jersey...

Rich-cuts his own ;)