Author Topic: Any Osage in South Carolina  (Read 4316 times)

Huaco

Any Osage in South Carolina
« on: August 16, 2008, 01:11:50 am »
To quote the band BR-549, "In South Carolina, there are many tall pines."  Good Lord, I have never seen so many trees in my life!  and they are HUGE!  I came from the mesquite flats of Texas!  Sadly, I did not take full advantage of my opportunity in Texas to harvest the abundance of this tree.

I have only seen ONE 'Sage since moving here to SC in late April this year.  It is next to the road in front of an old farm house on a rout I drive sometimes coming home from work.  This thing is HUGE!  I am not interested in harvesting this Grand-Pappy of a Sage!  I am in Upstate SC.  Does anybody know of any good sources of Sage in this area? 

On another trail of thought... I just bought a house here in the Greenville area.  I am on 1/3 acre and have a TON of trees already.  Is there any chance I might be able to plant and harvest a Sage within a 5-10 year timeframe?  The above mentioned Sage has a good bit of apples on it.  I am thinking about getting some from them and getting some seedlings going.  Or... is there a place online that sells sapling Sage trees... that way I would be a few years ahead of the game.  I like the idea of growing one from a sapling, because I could somewhat control the straightness of the tree's growth.

Are there any negatives about growing a Sage on a residential lot? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Any Osage in South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 10:33:48 am »
Chris Cade lives near Abbeville and has found osage in a few places around there. I helped him harvest some a few years ago.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:26:08 am »
You can buy osage saplings from the Missouri department of forestry. Real cheap, less than $10 for 25 saplings. They say they are only for residents but they will ship to anyone. A friend bought some a few years ago and he lives in Tn. Some of the saplings were over 2ft tall.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/forest/nursery/seedling/

radius

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 02:00:03 pm »
man, that would be great!  i'd love to get some up here to canada!  Why should you guys get all the fun????

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:44:36 pm »
Osage grows pretty fast with good soil, fertilizer, and water. If you're in Greenville, you're only a little over an hour's drive from me and Pat.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:44:39 pm »
 I brought some saplings home 2 years ago from Chris' farm. They grow in S.C. and now in central Fl. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 12:16:52 am »
there is osage in s.c. and it's all mine!  i have a couple hundred seeds somewhere in my shop.  with water and sun, they will grow 2-3' in one summer.  if you're in abbeville stop by or shoot me your address and i'll mail you some seeds.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy