Author Topic: Silk backing glue?  (Read 6976 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Silk backing glue?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 12:56:36 pm »
Although I have to say that I havent tried backing with material such as silk, a text I read said that you should try to pretension the backing material a little if at all possible, even if you only tie the backing material down at the limb tips and at the handle area. I believe that the idea was to avoid any slack in the backing so as to give a firm support to the underlying bow immediately the bow is drawn. 

Just my 0.02's worth  ;D
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »
Thats interesting Dano. From my experiances with it I would have swore it was he other way around. Oh well, I've used both and they both work just fine.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dano

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:50:07 pm »
Yeah, they both work just fine. The only time I notice the difference is when I size the back of a bow for snakeskins, TBIII takes a while to dry.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

orcbow

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 09:07:07 am »
When doing a cloth backing, its a good idea to wash the cloth with soap, rinse well, and dry. That way the cloth will shrink if it needs to, and their will be no oils or other contaminates to interfere with the glue bonding to the wood. I have used canvas backings and I've not had any problems. Masking tape makes a cheap clamp to hold the backing in place. The TB glue will set-up under it. After a few hours, remove the tape and let the glue fully dry.