Author Topic: owl bows?  (Read 9814 times)

Ian Johnson

owl bows?
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:02 am »
what is your opinion on these bows?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: owl bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:41:46 am »
Never owned one myself, but Ed has a great reputation as far as I know. I've heard many good things about him and no bad stuff that I can remember. I have seen a couple of his bows in person, and they look to be well-made and usually have cool decorations and artwork.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:05:13 am »
what is your opinion on these bows?

I have seen His Bows at His Shop....He used TiteBond 2 if I remember right....because TB 3 had not come out then.....very nice Guy to talk to....knowledgeable........and makes a Pretty Bow!! ;D

In my opinion....if you don't use Sinew with Hide Glue ....you are defeating the number one reasons that Sinew is used to begin with....added reflex....added strength...and Longevity...there is nothing Scientifically proven on whether the Titebond Glue will work any better than Hide Glue in making a Sinewed Bow Last Longer....most of His Bows are made of Sinew and Mesquite or Osage....I don't agree that these are a good combination either....Osage needs no backing...it is almost Bulletproof....and will last for decades as is....I believe that Sinew has it;s Place....and that is on Small Flat Bows...like the West Coasters...and other small flat limbed Bows.....made of Juniper....ERC.....Yew...and Ash.....with the combination of Sinew and these Woods....you can make yourself one heck of an Arrow Launching Monster!!

If I was going to get a Bow that was going to see some In-climate weather during a Normal Hunting Season....and not going to see a HotBox for Days........I would be looking for a Bow Like Mr. Parker makes.....a good Bamboo Backed Bow....all Animal Products....be it Sinew ... Rawhide......or Horn have their Limitations due to weather and will sooner or late break down due to age and environment....In a Dry Climate I beleive that they will last for decades though.....just not as good in Humidity as Boo.......I believe that Bamboo adds speed and Strength to a Bow....and being a Plant Fiber compared to an Animal Fiber.....it will last longer and provide a more stable Backing for an All Weather Bow..........JMO
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:49:02 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JBL

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:57:31 am »
I own two of his the first one: 56" ntn and 45# osage and sinew and just love it; no handshock, accurate, and really fast. The only problem is here in the Midwest it has been very humid so it is either put in a hot box before shooting or left in the car for a couple of hours. The other is my daughter's: 72" ntn 30# juniper backed with canvas.  Both are real works of art and very fun to shoot.  Ed is also a GREAT GUY to talk to and work with he has a lot of interesting stories.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 12:05:46 pm »
I have never met Ed but heard nothing but good things about him and his bows. I have seen a few examples of Ed's work and they were well made bows with beautiful art work on them.  8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JBL

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:13:56 pm »
I forget to mention their looks are GREAT but their performance is even BETTER. I love stump/small game getting with these bows as both are so light and made for that quick shot; the juniper bow is like carrying air.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:55:47 pm »
I had a chance to meet Ed at Compton a couple years back.  He had some amazing bows, and was a really nice person willing to share knowledge.  He had everything from plains style bows, to a cypress longbow, that was a replica from a tribe in Florida.  If I could afford it I would love one of his bows. 
Traverse City, MI

CSCOTT

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 12:36:50 am »
ED SCOTT IS MY GREAT UNCLE AND HE MAKES ONE HELL OF A BOW. I USED TO SHOOT THEM EVERY YEAR AT THE FAMILY REUNION. I ALSO OWN ONE MADE OF HACKBERRY IT WAS ALOT OF FUN TO SHOOT BUT I HAVE GROWN OUT OF IT. IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR A GOOD HAND MADE BOW ED HAS THEM.

V/R
CARY SCOTT

Minuteman

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:54:29 am »
Makes awesome bows at least the ones I've handled have been awesome. I'm not sure if he'll build a self bow though.  He backs everything as far as I know( could be wrong ;) at least as far as I've seen.  He also thinks very highly  of his work( think lotsa cash$$$$ here) and well he should.I wouldn't pay that much for one of his bows but I'm  pretty partial to my money . He also guarantees his bows til his death then yer on your own!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 01:24:13 pm »
Cary,
Im friends with your great uncle n cousin Justin.I have a Sinew Backed Osage that Ed gifted me a couple yrs ago.Ed and Caroline are Outstanding People and a great Representative of our Passion.
If a person wants a 1 of a kind peice of art,that performs very well,then an owl bow is for you.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 01:28:49 pm »
P.S
Ive got another Male friend named Cary too.He also comes from a famous family.Only his is the Frost Family of Bull ridein fame.His cousin was Lane Frost.Dont know if you ever saw the Movie 8 seconds er not.