Author Topic: Dead Dogwood tree  (Read 3941 times)

Huaco

Dead Dogwood tree
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:50:48 pm »
Can there be any use of a dead Dogwood tree to make a bow?

Any tips on what to look for in the wood... how to identify good sections of wood...

I have never cut wood for a bow. 

I know someone that has a dead Dogwood.  I don't know yet, how long it has been dead.

Offline n2everythg

Re: Dead Dogwood tree
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 02:55:23 pm »
only one way to find out. cut her down and peel it.
Is it really big? if so might be more work than it is worth since you dont know how long it has been standing. might be full of bugs and rot. Might be better to go get a fresh one. but if that is not an option then head out with the saw and cut away.

find a fairly straight section 6 ft long and haul it away. peel it and see what it looks like. if bad make firewood. if good make bow.
luck
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »
you might poke it with an awl or knife or peel a bit of bark off to see what it looks like underneith before you go through the work of cutting it. choose several different spots and do a spot test. see if you find rot or bug holes.

just a thought
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Huaco

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:22:05 pm »
Here is the reply from the owner of the tree.

"The tree is about 20 ft tall.  It had leaves in the spring then when the heat came it died.  I cut some of the small limbs off.
It has 2 base sections that are about 26 in. around and one base section is straight and over 6 feet tall.
Your call!  Let me know if you are close enough and want to look at it"

What do you fellas think??? I may go take a look at it this evening.  I plan to take a screwdriver and do some "probing" as was suggested previously in this thread.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:24:08 pm »
Dogwood is a whitewood and can be easily effected by fungi. I would be leery of it for bows. I'd say to cut it and split it and see how the wood feels and if there is any discolorations that would indicate fungal infection.  The wood is good for knapping billets, tip overlays and bow handle risers, knife handle scales and other projects. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 04:58:01 pm »
If it's free wood, it's good!  It can always be used for something, even if it ends up being firewood. ;D

Dogwood makes an excellent bow, by the way.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Huaco

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 11:37:46 pm »
So... I scoped out the tree this eveining.  It still has the bark FIRMLY attached.  I took my BIG screwdriver (about 2 feet long) and started "probing" the bark.  the main trunk splits about 3 feet off the ground and the main branch is about 7 foot long.  It did not branch too much either.  :) 
I am going to cut this down early saturday morning and hope it is not full of insect holes.  I told the lady that even if it was, I would still chop it up and put it on her curb for her...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 05:35:52 am »
What Pat said,if it is dead I would be leery of it,That being said if I have a questionable piece I make a little bow out of a piece of it,nothing fancy just a strip a foot long and thin it down and see how it bends,if it bends good without breaking then I would go for it.Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

orcbow

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:06:14 am »
If the tree died this spring, it may be still good. I don't know where you are, but if it has been rainy and humid, the quality of the wood can degrade pretty fast, because of fungus and/or bugs. Fresh dogwood is the color of ivory, but if it has been seasoned outdoors, the wood turns to a more light brown color. I have only used fresh dogwood, that I split and dried indoors. It's really nice to work with if the wood is straight and clean. It has a density similar to hornbeam/ironwood/muscle wood. If you cut this tree, I recommend removing all of the bark right away (if you are going to make bows). If there are any bugs they may be in the bark,hiding, so you want to not bring them along.