Author Topic: Questions Please help!!!  (Read 9739 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Questions Please help!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 01:17:02 am »
" fiberglass is modern sinew..."

WRONG!
                                                                                                                                                                                                           I 2nd the post. Coulndt said it better. Ya know this crap is really boring like Mullet said............. bob                                                             

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 07:25:08 am »
 :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

radius

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 10:20:11 am »
you guys all play nice...

don't worry too much about the guys who come and go...but if they're snapped at when they first show up, it's no surprise they take off...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 11:22:46 am »
I don't think anybody was snapping-he even got some helpful answers. By becoming a member of the board, you agree to abide by the rules of discussion , including this one:

Rule #3

Topics and posts should be related to primitive archery in some way. If you want to discuss other topics in life there are plenty of other places on the internet you can go. This place is about primitive archery. Discussions on the use of post-industrial materials (yes that means FG) is not allowed here.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 11:32:35 am »
Tillering a bow with a lot of reflex is hard becasue there is a lot of strain stored in the bow at brace height.  I would reduce the reflex to 3" maybe by steaming it before proceeding further.  I am not sure that backings of any kind do well with steam or dry heat, so consider that as you work this one.  You could also put deflex in the handle and leave the tips with that much reflex and this would help matter, I think.  Worked for me on a short osage bow.

Offline Dano

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 01:40:45 pm »
I would just do as Ryan advised, put the bow in a vice and flex each limb sepeartely as you would a recurve. With all the knots and backing heat or steam may cause more damage than need be.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 01:48:44 pm »
Tillering a bow with that much reflex is not easy. A poor choice for an inexperienced bowyer. Start with a straight stave instead, FG or not.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:31 pm »
Inexperienced? Ive been building bows for 12 years. But this was my first time with a bow that had that much reflex or using the " F" word.

Offline Dano

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 11:48:26 pm »
So how can we help an experienced bowyer like your self? Do you have any questions about some of the advice you have been given?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 12:26:11 am »
Hahahahaha...oops sorry..thought that was a joke....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Rich Saffold

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2008, 02:51:32 am »
Sand or cut off the fiberglass, tiller or heat the belly to get the reflex to under two inches, preferably less, and back it with something natural,I'd use a very thin bamboo trapped on the sides, or black leather.

There now you have advice from someone with twenty years experience. and  over 300 high quality bows hunting and competing all over the world...

feel better?

ThimoS

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 06:56:26 am »
Rich that was great advice. Now let me clean the nose-shot coffee off the screen.

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 11:46:54 am »
Hey, Whitewoods
We can't read your mind! If you've got 12 years of bow making, why are you asking us how to tiller a bow? Introduce yourself, be polite. As you've seen, if you get huffy, you're not going to get a very positive response. We try not to talk about FG, as this is a primitive archery site. FG isn't evil, but we all try and build wood bows here.

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 02:36:52 pm »
I would like to start by apologizing to anyone I may have offended. I agree The "F" is not Primitive in any way. I"m sorry. My name is Bill and I"m from Clarion County Pennsylvania. I have been building bows for 12 years.In the past I have always built self bows and sinew backed bows.And now I am going to stick to that!!!! 3 years ago I was a member of this forum(never made many posts though) but I moved and never got a new computer.I always buy the Primitive Archer Mag.I am not new to bow making but I am always open to new ideas and good advice.I took everyones advice and criticism and took the " F" off the bow and am now working on applying a sinew backing.Thanks for the advice.I look forward to further advice and help.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 02:45:36 pm »
Hi Bill, I'm from the Erie/Crawford county area in Pennsylvania. Have we met before???  My name is Ryan O'Sullivan.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....