Author Topic: Baleen?? for you horn bow guys  (Read 6041 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Baleen?? for you horn bow guys
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
Can you use baleen the same as horn on a bow??

David

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Baleen?? for you horn bow guys
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:56:32 pm »
Yes you can , the Japanese carriage bows were baleen bellied bows I think. The question I have is ,,, Is it legal ?

Ralph   

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:58:43 pm »
hey dave welch2 is right, i dont  think i would talk a lot about it,you can never tell, whos watching,by the way when can you come over for your hot box,do you still want it?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:11:13 pm »
I don't think baleen is quite a dense as horn.  I've seen it used on bow bellies but not in a highly stressed design.

And I think you can get it legally from a Native American can't you?  They can still harvest whales.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:35:23 am »
  to my limited knowledge, i've only heard it used on the back. i even saw it once on the back of a english longbow.
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline knightd

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 12:40:48 am »
I think you can still purchase it from natives with permits to take whales and they can also pick up natural death whales..I think?

David

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 12:53:28 am »
 Check your local laws and also Fed laws.There are fed regulations and stiff pennalties having any part of a whale in your possession.
 I've seen some bows and shot one that was backed with baleen. Shot great and seemed fairly fast. I know it was abtained befor all the regs went into effect.   

Offline knightd

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:05:09 am »
well I just looked on ebay and you can buy it on there? I looked up a couple of reg's and they all say as long as it is sold as art work by the natives it ok.. If I read this right it looks like it should be ok.

Can I legally buy baleen from a street vendor? Are there any restrictions on what I can do with it?
Yes, baleen (normally this is from the endangered bowhead whale) may be legally sold by Alaska Natives as Traditional Native Handicraft under both the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and Endangered Species Act (ESA). The baleen must be cleaned and polished to qualify as handicraft. Once purchased, bowhead baleen may be transported out of State, but may not be subsequently sold or taken outside of the United States.

David

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:16 am »
WHO in the world would ever know it's baleen anyhow ??
the small piece that I have in my possession looks just like horn to me.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.