Author Topic: Small Splinter  (Read 2633 times)

snakebow

Small Splinter
« on: August 11, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »
I was bending my vine maple bow with the tillering string last night when I heard a small crack. I have'nt heard that sound in a long time so the bow gods must have thought I needed reminding. Any way the splinter on the back is a small one so I'll sinew back this bow. Hopefully it will save it. I have never built a vine maple bow before so this is a experiment for me.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Small Splinter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 10:09:13 pm »
I recently made my first VM and am working on another.  I find it a very forgiving wood I really enjoy working with it.  Were you planning on sinew backing the entire bow before the splinter?  If the splinter is small maybe just super glue it down and do a small sinew wrap on the area.
Traverse City, MI

snakebow

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:50 pm »
I was just going to sinew the whole bow just to be safe. I only took the bark off but I must have violated a growth ring. I really want this one to shoot.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:41:17 pm »
I would carefully lift the splinter a little and put some super glue or hide glue under it before I sinewed it.  It that doesn't fix it, it wasn't going to be a bow anyway. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

snakebow

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »
Thats what I had in mind to do all though the splinter is barely noticeable. You have to look to find it. but a splinter is a splinter.

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:16:46 pm »
If you want added protection, just back the bow with rawhide. Save your sinew.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada