Author Topic: KITH  (Read 137222 times)

Offline woodsman1031

Re: KITH
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2008, 03:39:09 pm »
Recieved both of my knives, the bigger one is from Okie1 and the neck knife is from someone in Pennsylvana Thats all I could read of the return address the box was a little chewed up. My thanks to both of you I like
them a lot :)

I have one knife done and the second about half way and need to make sheaths also, please have patience
I'm getting there.

Ryano is from Pennsylvania
Jesus Saves!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2008, 05:04:12 pm »
Don't think Ryan's on the list. HFD60 is from PA.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2008, 05:09:18 pm »
Just about have the first NW knife finnished. Soon it will be in someones happy little hands! Then to haft the other one. I'm learning alot on how to haft these obsidian knifes!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2008, 07:20:11 pm »
Don't think Ryan's on the list. HFD60 is from PA.

Thats probably him then Steve :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2008, 11:06:44 pm »
  Richard Bistline, Harrisburg, Pa. Geeez, all ya'll had to do was ask. I have the "Book". :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2008, 06:50:55 am »
Thanks eddie, dats him  :)

Now them my thanks Richard for the nice knife :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2008, 05:41:55 am »
Hello,

I now have my sheaths cut out moistened, folded and laying in place. I have 12.5lbs laying on each sheath! The leather I bought from Jantz is about 1/4" thick. It is good stuff,but way thicker than I had planned on. I Just need to drill holes stitch and They will be completed . I am not dying these sheaths. I had planned on leaving them natural, and I bought some neatsfoot oil to soften them up for the new owners. I have really enjoyed doing this, I hope we can do another really soon.

Tommy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:39:44 am by woodsman1031 »
Jesus Saves!

Offline HFD60

• HFD60'S PHOTO'S
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2008, 03:52:38 pm »
DanaM, glad you liked it. I was a little worried since it was only my 3rd attempt at making a knife.
Rich Bistline
Harrisburg, PA

Offline DanaM

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2008, 07:24:38 pm »
DanaM, glad you liked it. I was a little worried since it was only my 3rd attempt at making a knife.

Not to worry, its really nice and I will probably copy it :) It will be hanging from neck this hunting season ;D
And Okie's will be at my belt ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2008, 03:58:54 pm »
I shipped out the 2 knives today. One is going to Mullet and the other to Dtiller. They are both neck knives.

I finally got over my sheath making mental block. I just had to jump in there and do it. The leather I ordered was so thick that It was very very hard to work. I think it was the thickest that Jantz had. I now know to get a thinner leather next time. The sheaths are not works of art, but they are good sheaths that will protect the knife as well as the user. I hope the knives will be used this hunting season.

I hope yall like them.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2008, 04:07:32 pm »
The majority of my leather is from 1/8" to 1/4" thinck.  When I use it to make neck sheaths, I lay it over a broom handle with the flesh side up and just use a razor blade like a draw knife and slice some of the leather off where it is going to fold.  You can also use wood carving gouges and gouge out a few strips and fold it over.  I originally started doing that to thin some down for the welt and skive the edges that contact the welt, otherwise I would have 3/4" of leather to sew through.

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2008, 04:34:19 pm »
Madcrow,
Thats a great idea! I will do that next time. It actually didnt take that long to make the sheaths. Do you have a self made tool you use for the edging? Like the area where the stitches would go. I have seen a few tools in the Harbor Freight catalog, but I would like to make some leather working tools if I could.

I feel like a kid at Christmas waiting on my knives.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2008, 04:49:50 pm »
Follow this link.

http://beknivessite2.homestead.com/leathergouges.html

In a pinch, you can press down a strip for the stitches by wetting the leather and waiting a few minutes til the leather starts to look dry on top and roll a quarter or nickel down the length of the welt.  If you push and try and keep it evenly spaced fromt he edge, it looks great.  You can use the info on the link and make an edger for give the edge a rolled down look.

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2008, 07:02:57 pm »
Thanks madcrow!
Jesus Saves!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
Hope to have pictures up tommow of my entries and then off to the Post Office :)

Manistique, MI