Author Topic: Ornamental Cherry  (Read 1881 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Ornamental Cherry
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:05:56 pm »
I have what I believe to be a Ornamental Cherry Tree that is growing on my patio . That seriously looks like it needs to be pruned. [Since it has some good size limbs that might make bows] Is this good bow wood and has anybody tried it ?

[attachment deleted by admin]
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ornamental Cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:35:46 pm »
Looks almost like black cherry(Prunus serotina). That makes pretty good bows. Even if it isn't black cherry I'd give it a try. Most fruit and nut trees make good bows.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:19:56 pm »
Looks almost like Bradford or Aristocrat pear. Give it a try-it'll probably make a bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:29:45 pm »
I've made one black cherry bow that didn't blow, its still shooting but has a ton of frets.
My advice is keep it wide and long and you may want to do a bend test as per TBB
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »
I've made bows from ornamental cherry and pear. We have a large ornamental pear in the back yard, and I used a large branch from it. Made a decent enough bow. Let it season a good long while... I'm talking like at a year.