Author Topic: Yew log, what to do with it? (pics added)  (Read 4430 times)

Offline nathan elliot

Yew log, what to do with it? (pics added)
« on: August 10, 2008, 04:17:09 am »
It has finally happened! I have a yew log! It is real straight and the growth rings look tight. The park keeper who cut it for me even sealed the ends with glue. So now what do I do with it? Split it now or leave it for a year and then split it. Bark on or off! As ever all advice and opinions welcome.

Nat
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:00:44 pm by nathan elliot »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yew log, what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:31:38 am »
How big around is the log?  With the ends sealed and the log intact very little moisture will escape from the wood. I would at least split the log in half and let it cure for a while...although my knowledge of seasoning yew is quite limited.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:00:56 pm »
Check out TBB vol 1. There is an excellent chapter on splitting & seasoning wood.

Offline ravenbeak

• Pacific Yew Wood
    • Ravenbeak Natureworks
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:39:04 pm »
I split all my wood,  you want the moisture to escape through the sides as opposed to the ends.
With splitting it is possible that some pieces will twist or run out,  but that is a chance I always take.  having faith that the wood will do what it is meant to do. 
With splitting you are assured the wood will have continuious fibres and it is neat to watch how it will flow around knots,  not possible with sawing. 
Then seal the ends and wait. 
The smaller you split the faster it will season,  so I like to get down as close to final bow dimensions as possible,  because I use only handtools.
6" trees usually split into quarters and the last tree I found which was 12" diameter got split into beautiful eighths.

good luck.
may the force be with yew.
Custom Yew Bows,  and bow making workshops
www.ravenbeak.com