Author Topic: Flat Sawn Red Oak  (Read 3202 times)

Huaco

Flat Sawn Red Oak
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:47:06 pm »
I have found a source of Flat Sawn Red Oak.  It is between 6' and 12' long.  6" and 12" wide and 1.25" thick.  My question is... Is the thickness adequate to follow a ring if a suitable board is found, to make a "board bow" like is described in The Traditional Bowyers Bible?

The wood has already been dried...

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Flat Sawn Red Oak
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »
You don't need to chase a ring unless you want to.  Most board bows simply come from boards with few runouts, that is, the grain is straight over the length of the board.

If you wanted to chaes a ring, it would depend on how far into the board the outermost full ring were to run.  1.25" is pretty thick, the limbs would probably only run 1/2" thick at most.  If you don't mind gluing on a handle piece it'd certainly be possible.  And if you just find a good board with straight grain, 1.25" is probably enough for a handle.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:01:48 pm »
Try to see if you can get any that is either Bias Cut or Edge /Rift Cut....these work best for me
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Huaco

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:40:59 pm »
Try to see if you can get any that is either Bias Cut or Edge /Rift Cut....these work best for me

What are these cuts? 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:37:54 pm »

What are these cuts? 

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 10:14:18 pm »
All 3 cuts will work. From the top, regular log stave, plain sawn or flat sawn, bias cut or rift sawn, 1/4 sawn or edge ringed. If you choose a 1/4 sawn make sure the edge  grain is completely parallel to the face of the board. I allow 2 run ups per limb for a 50-55# bend in the handle bow for the other cuts. No ring chasing needed . My site ha s a buildalong or 2. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!