Author Topic: New Cane Arrows  (Read 6987 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
New Cane Arrows
« on: August 06, 2008, 09:10:22 pm »
  I finished the last of these 3 arrows last night. They are our native hill cane from my driveway. 29" long shaft with self nocks(plugged), turkey feather(some secondary and one primary) fletching with sinew wrap. 3 different style 2 fletch...one a slightly modified Cherokee style, the next is the same but with a banana burn and the last is 2 fletch with my burn on it. The stone points are from different folks; the point were given to me at the camp-o-rama. Lil Pat made the short dacite point but I was having so much fun I forgot who gave me the others :-[ :-*. One is obsidian(looks like silver sheen) and the other was one of 2 of the same material. Tan in color with a grainy texture. The other of the 2 is more triangular shaped.  The turkey feathers came from Greg, Art Butner and friends, and from Mike Houston.
   As you can see, I have some of the best out there coming along with me to the deer woods. ;D 8)
Enjoy!       Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

Re: New Cane Arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:56:53 pm »
nice arrows Pat !
got my vote for arrows of the month  ;D
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:58:33 pm »
Good looking arrow's you got there Pat.. I like the obsidian point..

David

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:26 pm »
Cool, Pat! Now I have got to finnish up some. I also have some to compare them too now.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 11:14:43 pm »
Those look really good Pat. It's funny you posted these pics today. I just finished my first attempt at a Cherokee two fletch just a few minutes ago. I'll have to wait until tommorrow to see how it flys.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:55 am »
Cheapshot, These fly very well. The one on the right flies the best but it has  stiff primary feathers and I'm sure that have more stabilizing effect than the softer secondaries.
  David T, all you gotta do is do it! ;)
 Gator, I wish I could remember who gave it to me. See, you did miss a good weekend! ;D :o
Thanks Sonny, Maybe it will get September arrow of the month in the deer woods! 8)
   The weight of these arrows is from left to right ...608gr, 648gr and 612gr. I'm pretty sure the point weight has the most effect on the difference. I will be well over the 10gr per # on these. I haven't weighed my hunting bow(s) but I'm guessing 50#@26" mol.
   The sinew wraps are sealed with pine pitch varnish and the points are hafted using pitch glue. The more I use the pitch varnish the better I like it. On the arrow on the left I used earth pigments for some coloration on the sinew wraps.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:16:44 am »
Whats the recipe for the varnish Pat? Looks nice!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:30:06 am »
David, I add hard pitch pieces to denatured alcohol. I don't have a recipe. I guess until no more pitch will dissolve. You want hard dry pitch because that is the consistency you want when the alcohol evaporates. Once dissolved, strain the liquid through an old T shirt or bed sheet to get rid of the particles of bark, etc. and voile!!! pitch varnish. If the spirits haven't evaporated from the pitch it will be tacky when the alcohol has evaporated.  If that happens, a bit of fine charcoal powder or chalk will eliminate the stickiness. I used mineral pigments on tacky pitch varnish on the wraps of one of these arrows.

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 01:46:23 am »
beautiful arrows, pat, and lots of good medicine there.  my first thought, when i saw the fletching, was: i bet, the one on the right flies best.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 05:32:03 am »
Sweet arrows Pat,I got to try them 2 fletch. ??? They ought to make meat. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:30 am »
Those came out real nice Pat, best of luck hunting with them! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:24 am »
Good looking arrows, Pat. Hope you get some red dye on them this fall. Oh, I'm gonna try to get the Dupont thing going first of next week.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 10:48:17 am »
Marius, That was the second set of fletching on that arrow. The first was a 3 fletch with 3 small feathers but it wasn't enough steerage for the point. As soon as I mounted and burned the fletch on now I knew it would work well and shooting only proved it.  ;D
  Pappy, you ought to try them. You will be amazed how well they fly. :o
  Thanks Greg, I guess we will all have a chance to "prove" our cane arrows. ;)
Steve, Let me know what you find out about Dupont. That would be a good place for some red coloration!  8)    Pat

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 11:25:54 am »
Nice lookin meat makers there Pat! Sounds like ya got all the bases covered - now if that deer would just step out in front of ya ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 02:36:16 pm »
Really good looking arrows Pat. I brought stuff with me today and tried a two fletch while I'm supposed to be working and it turned out pretty well. That's a lot more fun than working.  8)

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!