Author Topic: ? on Elm  (Read 2512 times)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
? on Elm
« on: August 06, 2008, 08:53:09 pm »
I was wondering if i should take this stave down one ring or not.. It has a brown line under the first ring!! The stave dried with reflex deflex in one limb because of a knot in that limb and the other limb was just reflexed so I steam bent deflex into it so it would match the other..I hope some of you guy's with more experience with elm can help.

David

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: ? on Elm
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:08:52 pm »
I'm not sure what your talking about " brown line"? but Ive had elm staves that changed color in the same ring before and it didnt seem to be a problem. Was the tree this stave came from alive when cut or did it have dutch elm disease? Just make sure if it was standing dead for any amount of time that its not infested with worms. I've made a few elm bows out of standing dead elm trees before and they all survived as long as no borrer have invaded it yet. Elm is very tough wood. If you have any doubts, I'd just chase another ring though. Its always better to be safe than sorry.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:04:41 am »
In the pic's you can see how the stave is brown the sister to it that I split off is solid white.. The late wood growth ring just under the brown outer growth ring is white but the early wood in between is a solid dark brown.. I think it was dead before it was cut but there are no bore holes in it..
 I will try and post a better pic.
David

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:18:20 am »
i'm no expert my any sense of the word.

however i think i would chase it down a ring.

that looks like spalted wood to me,seen alot of that on DED elm trees.

but like i said,not an expert.

good luck

peace,
                                                                         tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd