Author Topic: Wavy back  (Read 3905 times)

grantmac

Wavy back
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »
Hi all,
I've managed to get my hands on some Yew and it is for the most part a clear, straight piece of wood. However the back is quite wavy. Should I try to correct this or work around it? I'm not going to be doing much ring chasing as the sapwood is fairly thin (3/8") and I want an ELB design. Could I use heat and strap it to a board?
       Thanks,
             Grant

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Wavy back
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:21:57 pm »
Can you post pics?    I love character bows so I'd say, without seeing it, just go for it!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

grantmac

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:43 pm »
Pics presently, as soon as I can figure out where my wife left the camera. I also have a thing for character bows and I was planning something along those lines with the other half of this one.
      Cheers,
            Grant

grantmac

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:45:45 pm »
here we are:

The stave on the left is the clear one and the stave on the right has a monster knot right in the middle. I haven't ever done a bow from a stave before so it's going to be a very slow process from this point.
        Thanks,
                Grant

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:18 am »
Grant, You shouldn't touch the sapwood at all on either of those staves. It looks perfect to me.   You may want to work on the cleaner stave first before you try the one with the roller coaster back but it is gonna make a cool bow.  Will you show a pic of the knot and the back in general.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

grantmac

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:27:26 am »
Here are the backs. The clear one is on the left as before. Unfortunately not a lot of light out right now, so the pictures aren't the best.
         Cheers,
               Grant

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:41:56 am »
looks like perfect bowwood to me
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:31:13 am »
Grant, That knot is in a good location being centered in the limb. Leave lots of meat around it and you should be OK. Is the center of the knot solid or soft?     Pat

grantmac

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:56:46 pm »
I'm hoping to make a Holmegaard with the snakey one, the knot will be right in the bottom of the handle. First I will get used to things with the easy piece. It sure is nice wood to work, strong but easy to shape.
       Cheers,
               Grant

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 02:10:48 pm »
I would not try and take them out of either. Those waves are so small that they would never come out entirely. However.....they will make great cool bows as is.

SJM

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:51:39 pm »
I'd like to see a closeup of this wood.  You can bend yew with a heat gun pretty easily, though.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday