Author Topic: Anyone from Georgia  (Read 2931 times)

Brad Singley

Anyone from Georgia
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:06:29 pm »
Hello everyone,   I posted a thread over in the flintknapping area and only got 2 replies hopefully this area has more traffic.  I am interested in this art form of bow building and arrow crafting.  I don't have much in the way of experience in these areas.  I want to visit someone in the Georgia area who would let me watch for a while of how you guys build these beautiful bows.  My experience is in the area of custom built knives( I am a Journeyman Smith with the American Bladesmith Society).  I would offer any help or advise in knifemaking/forging  for some help on how to make my first bow.  Thank you for any help you may have to offer.

Sincerely,
        Brad

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
Re: Anyone from Georgia
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:32 pm »
hey brad.... i am from ga... but i am currently in texas right now.... ft hood post.   anyhoo.... if you want to you can go around the savannah area there are a large amount of bowyers in the area... if ya know where to look.... ga southern has a group of younger bowyers there but they are good
death by natural causes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:08:42 am »
Brad, I am originally from Savannah but live in the mountains of NC not too far from the GA line. Where in GA do you live?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline newknapper

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 07:49:22 am »
Hi Brad I am from south Ga but my bow making skills is in its infant stages right now.

Brad Singley

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:25:37 am »
Thanks everyone,  My wife is from the Savannah area so it would not be to much trouble to go down there.  That may be an option.

Pat B.  I live in Griffin, GA,  halfway between Atlanta and Macon.  We are about 3 hours driving from Highlands, NC.  If that will give you some reference point.  Not to far away.  Thanks again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 12:48:02 pm »
I used to know some folks from Griffin named Griffin. They were living in Athens at the time(early 70s).
  When did your wife grow up in San'h? I graduated from Benedictine Military School in 1969.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Brad Singley

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:43:15 pm »
Hi Pat,  My wife's family moved downtown about 6 yrs. ago but used to live near the Sav. Yacht Club (Commodore Pt.)  I enjoy our visits down there.  What type of bows do you build? Do you build your arrows also?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 05:16:22 pm »
Brad, I prefer to build self bows but build boo and hickory backed bows also. I do make my own arrows with sourwood shoots or cane.  This year I've been concentrating more with cane. I poster a few pics earlier this past week under "Arrows" and 3 different bows this past month. If you look at the BOM thread you can see them.
   Commodores Point wasn't there when I lived in Savannah(until 1978). The Yacht Club was there but very little else on Wilmington Island. I owned a house on York and Houston Streets, down town right on the square.  I also was an owner of Sweetfield Leather Co., on River Street. That was during the reconstruction of River Street.     Pat