Author Topic: another weird problem  (Read 5058 times)

radius

another weird problem
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:19:34 am »
Hey guys.

I recently bought some white ash, a plain sawn board 2" thick by 8' long.  I sawed the thing down to 68", and then ripped strips off the edges, which gives me quarter sawn strips.  This is edge or vertical grain wood. I have been using them to glue up a number of blanks, and now I am beginning to tiller these blanks into bows.

Today I experienced a strange problem, one which people would expect to find from stepped-down, plain sawn wood:  the backing strip cracked!  A little section of it lifted up in sort of a horseshoe shape.  I'd take a picture for you, but i recently moved and lost the cord which connects my camera to the computer. 

I've never had this trouble when using plainsawn strips as backing...but it has happened twice now:  both with edgegrain material. 

Any thoughts?

Offline tom sawyer

Re: another weird problem
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:29:55 pm »
Might have been a wiggle in the grain such that you aren't getting continuous fibers.  Even with quartersawn stuff, you have to have the strips following the grain.  Its tougher to tell with quartersawn strips too, since you are going off the skinny side to tell how things are running.

That, or the ash might be somewhat brittle from kilning.

Those are the two I can think of.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:41:40 pm »
If you have scrap that is long enough (when you cut the staves down from 96" to 68"), try ripping the scrap into strips and then break the strips.  If the strips seem to break too easily, you might have a brittle board of ash.  If the strips seem strong, then there is a defect in the strip that failed.

The problem seems normal enough to me....ash is not a wood I would recommend for backing strips anyway. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:41:51 pm »
was the blank in a hot box? If so it could be to dry..

radius

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:32 pm »
no hotbox...

and as for ash being a poor choice as a backing strip, i just remember reading that any wood which will make a selfbow will make a backing strip..no?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:58:15 pm »
  I don't do a lot of board bows , but, when I do I try to use a wood like hickory or something similer with interlocking grain. Just in case of getting a piece with a defect.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:51:18 pm »
I saw all my backing strips out of staves for the most part. Its a guessing game when your using a edge grain board from a saw mill. There are way better choices out there for backings than ash. Most people back ash with sinew or something. Its not the same as hickory.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:13:24 am »
  1/4 sawn backing strips are pretty bulletproof if they don't have grain run outs and they are the right species of wood. Ash is probably the most inconsistent wood there is for both density and elasticity. Some ash van be very strong and dense while others can be light and useless. I think english swamp ash or water ash is listed as one of the most elastic of all woods. If I find a heavy piece of ash I don't hesitate to saw it up into backing strips if there are no grain run outs. As long as the grain runs straight down the back of the bow most backing strips are fine 1/4 sawn, if they run off the side they are almost sure to break. Steve

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:25 am »
Radius, any wood can be made into a self bow.....including woods like willow, pine, and poplar.  But these woods are poor choices for backing strips.

A backing strip should be similar in weight (specific gravity) to the core wood but much better in tension strength.  I don't back my bows (and I'm no expert) but if I was going to back a light wood bow I would use elm.  On a medium weight wood, I would use hickory and on a heavy wood I would use bamboo.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 08:25:38 pm »
I recently made a reflex/deflex from ash and it hammers an arrow, but it took a ton of set for no apperant reason. Way understressed design @28" for a 68" bow..good luck Bro, I cant figure it out either :o.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

radius

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:10 pm »
thanks guys

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:43:14 pm »
well i thought i read that ash was a decent,not great,bow wood.
after reading this i dont think that i'll go limb out the neighbors ash tree in the middle of the night. however i did spot a lilac bush/tree that had several
main trunkd that were relatively straight and about 5" in diameter. that might not be as safe.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 10:27:18 am »
Any time you back a bow you could have it pop a splinter or such. It just happens.
  Sailordad.. Ash in the right design can be a very light and fast bow.

David

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 07:04:48 pm »
so i should still plan on limbing out my neighbors tree some nigh then >:D

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 10:51:42 pm »
Ash can be decent bow wood, but I wouldn't risk ticking off a neighbor or possibly going to jail for it.
I have access to pretty much unlimited amounts of straight as a arrow ash trees but I don't even bother with it when I have access to woods like Elm, hop hornbeam, black locust, hickory, hard maple and wild apple. Oh, and now add to the list hawthorne.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....