Author Topic: Ideas for me to get a start on this stave (VM) ??  (Read 3275 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Ideas for me to get a start on this stave (VM) ??
« on: August 03, 2008, 02:16:48 am »
Ok, first, I apologize for the retarded picture...  I can't find our digital since last fishing trip... shhh, I haven't told my wife yet.   So here's what I have - A vine maple stave - 68" long and I plan to make a D bow at 60#.  Not really important at this point, I don't think, but there ya go anyway.   I love the gnarly look of this stave and so have been putting it up on the tillering tree just to stare at it and contemplating over it for about a year now.  I'm just not sure what to do - usually these VM staves look like a U up on the tree.  I want to make a bow out of it badly.

So, here's my goob hand drawing since I can't take a picture.... but picture it sitting up on a tillering tree.  This is kind of its profile.  What should I do with this?  The left limb is the one I am concerned over - not knowing what might be best.

Ask any questions - and if that camera shows up I'll take a better pic.

Thanks, -Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline BigWapiti

Re: Ideas for me to get a start on this stave (VM) ??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 02:18:22 am »
I guess I might add - my concern is the amount of deflex in the limb pushing out toward the end.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:03:22 am »
I would steam bend the deflex out of the left limb to make it more or less match the right limb.
Gordon

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 04:06:03 am »
Got a heat gun? If so get it to the floor tillering stage then use the heat gun technique to bend the wood to the shape you want it.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:10:18 am »
ive never worked with vine maple, but Gordon is the VM master, so i second his opinion, you deffinately need to get the tips to match.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 12:59:57 pm »
I would steam bend the deflex out of the left limb to make it more or less match the right limb.

That I'll do then - thanks Gordon.   I thought I had recalled you saying that VM didn't take to a bend very well, that it always seemed to revert back on you after time.  Maybe that was jiust left and right bends?
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 01:24:43 pm »
I just measured and the left limb needs to be reflexed about 4.5" to match the other - that is 1.5" to level, then another 3" to match the right limbs existing reflex.
Mike B.
Central Washington State